THIS TUBE TUNER IS VERY LOUD...WHY?

My Sherwood S-3000 tube tuner has a volume pot in the back. I keep this at around 2:00 (I THINK). Plugged into the S-5000, the volume gets "loud" with the S-5000 at around 8 o'clock whereas a cd gets "loud" at about 12 o'clock. I mean, this tuner has an amazingly powerful output signal, or is there somthing else going on here that I don't understand; like impedence mis-matching or is this just how they were made back in the day?

Jon

Yup that is what the adjustment is for on the back many tube tuner had sustancial output to drive various different types of gear of the day so they gave you a handy output control on the back. Adjust it as Rick suggests and you will be all set.

Craig

I do use the pot to adjust, and I am not having a problem with it being too loud; I'll change it when I get my mixer in a few days.

I was just wondering why the heck it has so much output; I was kind of impressed. This thing sounds so good, especially NPR which I read does not compress their signal. I picked up an S-2000 which also has AM as well as FM and will test that out next week when it gets here.

JOn

Yeah I got a 10 channel Sherwood tube mixer on Ebay for 15$ it has SNR of 130db!!!!!

NOT! I am picking up a Numark PPD-9000. I talked to some people who used it and were very impressed. I really needed an all in one solution as I will eventually have 10 sources. I think it should also suffice for archiving vinyl via it's balanced XLR outs to my M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard.

It has a Tube Warmth effect which will be interesting to check out and some other features that make it very appealing to me; the tube warmth I could care less about but it reportedly sounds good, even if it ain't the real thing!

JC