RF-7's, RC-7, RS-7's In Da' House!

the borg

well, actually they're in the basement. Got them in yesterday. There was damage to one RF-7 grille (looks like the speaker may have tipped over during transit), but the online vendor said not to worry, he's putting a new grille in the mail. First off, these mutha's are big! I thought my SVS subs were huge, but these humpers (all of them) were raised on steriods. Also, the texture of the metallic woofers seems to be totally different than those on the RF3 series. As soon as they were out of the boxes, I removed my KSF-5 surrounds and installed the RS7's (big; did I say "big") and connected them with Monster HT THX rated cable (gotta' figure a way to bi-wire to my Denon 5800). I removed the RC-3 and replaced it with the RC-7. I hope anyone who buys this speaker, has a wi-i-i-ide shelf space on top of their TV, because you're going to need the room (did I say big already?). One puzzling thing, the two holes on the bottom for elevating the speaker did not have threads inside for the two long screws provided (I assume the screws just fit inside and the adjustment is made by moving the nut up and down the bolt). Now it was time to wrestle those 90 pound RF-7's out of the boxes and replace the trusty RF-3's. Fortunately for me, the much larger RF-7's did not cause too much of a problem when it came to positioning them, but this could be a major league problem for anyone dealing with a severly restricted amount of space. I wired up the RF-7's and RC-7 with Monster Z-2 cable, removed my Heresys from the back surround position and placed the RF-3's in the back surround post. Time to test them, first without my SVS subs. I insert a DTS audio sample disk: Lyle Lovett, loved it; Boyz to Men sound almost as good as the original Temptations; They Can't Take That Away From Me, gorgeous. In stereo mode, the RF-7's are much warmer and less bright than the RF-3's. Suprisingly, they are also much more efficient than the RF-3's and presented a wide sound stage with the vocalist (in this case Sinatra) dead center stage. In fact, I had to get up and go put my ear to the RC7 to make sure it wasn't putting out all that beautiful vocal placement. At loud volumes the speakers asked for more without distortion. In 5 and 7.1 mode, the sound was totally enveloping. I was really emersed into the sound of the music (Mars). My old KSF-5's, as good as they are, had to be boosted to +5 to +7db's to keep up with the RF-3's, but the RS-7's present a big, prominent footprint at ZERO db! I mean the sound is sweet, warm (for Klipsch)and very wide, while at the same time being very directed in its dispersion pattern. These wonderful speakers don't need any help and so I set each channel on the receiver at zero. Now for the movies. Trust me people, there are things in Gladiator DTS ES, and the DTS sample disk #3 & 4 that you have "never", ever heard. And once you include the SVS subs, wow! In fact, I hadn't planned to watch Gladiator beyond the opening battle sequence, but the sound was so overwhelmingly good that I actually watched the whole movie...again! I almost took the day off today to just listen and marvel at these monsters (pun intended since the Monster Z-cable wiring must be contributing to the sound). Tonight it's X-Men, On Any Given Sunday, and the startup of the Shelby Mustang in Gone in 60-Seconds, plus some music selections provided by Directv. Tomorrow, LD time! Friday, Saving Prvt. Ryan and The Matrix. Saturday...JFK (5.1)...Sunday, The Haunting DTS ES...

We are the borg...

Congrats Borg,

I'll be picking up my RF-7s tomorrow or this weekend. I had the same sort of suprise as you when I actually took in how big they were. Granted they are not the Khorn, but they really make the RF-3 look miniature.

Well, enjoy them.

-Scott

------------------

KG-4 Fronts

RC-3 Center

Infinity Reference 1 Surrounds

Sony DB830

This message has been edited by sseymour on 07-11-2001 at 02:08 PM

I want some. To bad the wallet says NO!

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony TC-WE425 Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Rear (Just upgraded the SS-1)

bensilb, my wallet has learned never to defy me Smile.gif

Heh, seriously though, I'd love to try the RF-7's except 1) I no longer have a local dealer, and 2) Nobody will tell me what the impedance curve on the RF-7's looks like, so I don't know if it'll work well with 300B's.

Charlie

------------------

"What's that noise?" "It's the carpet, it kinda mutes the speakers." "No, it sounded more like the chandalier falling."

Thanks for the comments on the new Reference 7 models. Hope you'll give more feedback as you have more time to listen. I'll pass your comments on to the development team.