NAD S250 Hum

bonedoc

I have a new NAD S250 hooked up to Klipsch Heresy's ect. When I set the levels on the back of the unit to anything above about 50% the speakers hum very loudly. Is this secondary to the efficiency of the Klipsch speakers or should I send it back. Thanks.

if I'm looking at the correct amp, this is a 125Watt x 5 HT amp. The fact that it is a 125Watt amp indicates that the amp probably has considerable gain. If you have nothing connected to the input, you're amplifying ambient electromagnetic noise, like the power company at 60Hz.

Try shorting the input jacks. The hum should be much lower.

When using the amp, I would suggest setting the rear volume controls so that you need to use considerable (as in 40% to 50%) rotation on the main volume control. This will result in a substantial audio signal into the amp, optimizing the entire system's signal to noise.

The amp is probably not defective, although, that is a posibility. If the power supply is noisy it could be effecting all 5 channels. If the noise completely goes away with shorted input jacks, it's almost certainly not an amp problem.

Leo