any thoughts on B&K?

M6 Driver

So I might be able to get my hands on a used B&K amp( at a rather fair price) not sure of the model# 5000 something 5 channels @125 w.p.c

any thoughts?

------------------

Thanks J

KLF 30 Mains

C7 Center

8.5 rears

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba W-614

BSR EQ-3000

Toshiba SD-1600 DVD

Pioneer CLD-S201 LD

Pioneer Elite PD-M53 CD

Sony 32 inch TV

no subs till house built

This message has been edited by JTS8 on 07-11-2001 at 05:39 PM

Don't know if this will help...

My only experience with B&K was years ago, with two channel power amps. The ST series. They were mosfet based power amps, sounded really, really good, didn't like driving speakers with difficult impedences or great big gobs of current requirements, neither of which do your KLF's suffer from. I don't know what a "fair" price would be for the 5 channel amp, but based on what I've experienced and their general reputation in the industry, I think they'd be a great match for KLF speakers.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Had the B&K AVP-5000 w/the 3090 preamp in '98.The amp was $1299 new.Powered Chorus I's.Was happy with the setup,but had to part with it.

Anyway,I do remember one really bazzar thing,I could turn the volume ALL the way up and had absolutly no distortion.Needless to say it was very loud!

B&K amps do run hot,but never had a problem with it.Great tech support.

I can't offer any info on B&K but I do have some experience using a Yamaha receiver as a preamp. If you intend to do this you may find a lot of noise at low to moderate volumes. I had a RX-V692 when I bought my Adcom GFA-7000. I used the yamaha as a preamp for about a week and then had to buy a seperate preamp. There was a definate improvment in the overall sound quality but that noise was bad. When I hooked up a Marantz Pre/Pro no noise and I was very happy for a little while. Hopefully your receiver won't have this problem.

Q.