Our new Yamaha RX-V750 in home test

Cal Blacksmith

Well I finally got the chance to wring out the new RX-V750 last night! I talked the wife into watching Pirates of the Caribbean. If she is with me she doesnt complain about the volume but if she is trying to watch TV in the bedroom (the next room) then I catch flack. Anyway, I had set the receiver up with the YAPO system that is built in to the unit.

It did a good job of setting the speaker parameters. The room is about 13x 13 x 9, two sides of the room are open to the rest of the house with a rock fireplace as the front wall. The front mains are Klipsch Heresy II s set level with the TV (apx 4 above the floor to the top of the cabinet they set on) and spaced to each side of the room. The front center is a JBL 4312 set above the TV (soon to be replaced with a pro La Scala top end section) The front effects are Sound Research AL-13s (they came with the house) mounted to the ceiling and a custom passive sub/satellite system for the surrounds mounted at the sides of the room and about 2 behind the main listening position (the way the room is setup this is the only place for them)

The YAPO system tested each speaker, set distances, polarity, volume and size (the sub/sat system fooled it into thinking it was a LARGE speaker) I set the volume on the receiver to -25db (loud enough to sound good but still able to speak over the sound) and when the THX sound played, I knew we were in for something good! Even with the surrounds set nearly to the side of the sweet spot, the system did a good job of making the sound really come from behind us. Cannon shots off screen really sounded as if they were off to the sides and were not vague in placement. The Heresy II s did a good job of providing all the bass we wanted from the front speakers while the passive sub got what it needed to provide us with reasonable bottom end even if it wasnt room shaking. The front effect speakers did a good job of giving depth to the sound stage and provided a positive enhancement of the movie.

All in all I am VERY happy with the dimension the receiver provided to the movie. The unit was purchased at the good guys for $600 (MSRP $649.95) with a 60 day best price guaranty so shopping for a reduced price wasnt a major concern. We went with a mid fi receiver due to the fact that the wife, while she enjoys the sound, really didnt care about the system at all and my main interest is in 2 ch stereo where I have spent most of my money. Would I recommend this unit to anyone? YES though I do recommend that heritage Klipsch go with it, the speakers and receiver sound great together.