making the big switch

jholinsc

Have just purchased a new pair of SF-3's. Unbelieveable sound...but way different from what I'm used to. I've got an original pair of Magnepan MG 1's that I purchased in 1980. I've grown so accustomed to the unmatched imaging qualities of this type speaker that I'm having to sell myself on the klipsch. I'm sure it won't take long though.

Anybody else out there make a drastic switch like this?

Velcome, please post your movie and music tastes, room dimensions and front-end equipment in your system profile, this will help forum members give you thoughtful, insightful answers. I always thought that horns imaged better than panels. Just point them directly at your ears or the back of your head. By the way, the front-end equipment required for horns is entirely different than panels. Think small Japanese engines, NOT heavy American horsepower.

2.gif

I switched from maggies to klipschorns...huge difference. I don´t miss my maggies, I love the attributes of the big horns but I think there are people who like horns, people who like cones and people who like flat speakers, NONE are "right"...to each his own I say...I found out I was a horn guy, I hope you find out you are as well. regards, tony

yeah ...huge difference..but like you said..everybody has different tastes. Of course the #1 advantage is I'm better utilizing m amplifiers power. I used to drive the mag's with a Carver (which I lost in the Divorce along with the BA's), and was left with a Denon PMA 680R, 65/channel, which is having NO problem driving these SF-3's. I doubt it will ever see 12 o'clock again! :)

yeah, Carver and maggies, that makes sense -

wife might go after stereo too, lawyer says if she values it too high then just agree to give it to her! For whet she thinks it is worth, I can buy a new one!

mmm, Altec VOTs?

I've had some time now to actually sit down and soak it in, using none other than Dark Side of The Moon for reference....Awesome definition...the beginning of "Time" just blew me away.

I'm over my separation anxiety from the Mag's

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 6/1/2004 1:55:25 PM jholinsc wrote:

I have the half speed master recording vinyl of DSOTM..although I haven't fired up my Luxman table in a long time.

So much music..so little time ----------------

What the heck are you waiting for? Put the Rice Krispies on the platter. Snap, crackle, pop! 2.gif