Which BEC networks for my '67 Khorns???

jorjen

Until I have the time to finish the ALK's, I need something for the meantime. My Khorns are stock with the "A" network, but the 2 mfd cap is leaking on both boards and I do not want to put these in a beautifully restored Rosewood set. So, my question is, would the same set of issues(discussed in numerous other threads)apply to the "A" and "AA" debate using Bob's networks? In other words, should I get his "A"'s or his "AA"'s and add the 1 mfd cap? Would I need to add the 1 mfd to his "AA"'s? Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.

My advice is simply to go ahead and finish your ALK networks and install them as soon as you can. That will give you the best sound for the least money in the quickest time. If you INSIST on investing in outdated technology, however, you could find a pair of used "A" or "AA" networks on Ebay cheaper than buying the new ones there. I bet someone on this bbs would sell you their old "A" or "AA" networks even cheaper than the used ones on Ebay, but I still think you shouldn't go that route.

If you do a search of the archives here you will see many statements from various Klipsch owners on how much better their speakers sound since they replaced the stock motor run capacitors with the more modern metalized PPE capacitors--increased detail, spaciousness, etc. The motor run capacitors lose too much of the signal; the PPE capacitors don't. Measurements of the comparative losses have been posted, I seem to remember. PWK used motor run capacitors because they were the best available at the time, but they've been surpassed by the PPE's. That's no great secret.

It makes me shake my head when I see people spending good money on new crossovers made with outdated components. If you did buy a pair--new or used--wouldn't they sound the same as your old "A" networks? Isn't that the sales pitch for the new ones, that they sound as good as the old networks? You'll have spent significant money without making any real improvement.

Just buckle down and finish the ALK's. You'll be glad you did.