Promedia Owner moving on to real audio - need input!

meuge

I've finally made up my mind. My budget is limited, but I think I've figured out the best upgrade for the money.

I currently have a Promedia 5.1 Ultra system, topped with a pair of RSX-4s for fronts. My plan is to acquire a Harman Kardon AVR230, as well as a pair of RB-25s. I'll then move the RSX-4s to act as rear channels and run a subwoofer pre-out line through an RCA to 1/8 minijack adapter into my promedia ultra sub, which will have to do as a powered sub of the system for now. Since the Ultras have a discreet LFE input sitting on a stereo minijack with the center channel I shouldn't have any problems making this work. I'll have to live without a center channel for a while, but that shouldn't be a horrible sacrifice, considering the magnitude of the upgrade. Eventually I'll probably get a sub and a center and sell my Promedias to recover some money.

For now, I'm planning on using the SPDIF out of my M-Audio Revolution to listen to stereo music, and running analog lines from the soundcard into the AVR330 for multichannel listening, such as games... I am still not sure whether SPDIF can pass Dolby Digital and DTS streams to be decoded by the receiver, or whether I'll have to settle for software decoding and analog inputs for watching DVDs.

I would appreciate some comments and/or suggestions. I'd certainly like to know if any of these ideas won't work, or whether they will.

Also, if you have any other suggestions for improving audio quality/reducing money spent, etc... I'd love to hear about it as well.

Thanks

----------------

On 6/7/2004 12:32:52 AM michael hurd wrote:

How about all Rsx-4's, all the way around? With a sub, that wouldn't really break the bank and give you great sound to boot.----------------

Mike, just out of curiousity why the RSX-4 recommendation? Are you saying that because that will give him four identical speakers? I am thinking he is doing exactly what I would do, but I am assuming he'll upgrade the RSXs in the future. If he'll keep the RSXs for the long haul, then I absolutely agree. However, the RSXs and the RB-25s are pretty much the same money and the RBs have a little more range to them. Again, I'm just curious.

As for the original post: I think what you're doing will definitely suffice for right now. The key, as Michael said, is to ensure that your sound card will pass the DD/DTS signal to the PMs. (Will the PMs do DTS?)

John

Seeing his plan was to go with a harmaon kardon avr, down the road, I figure that he could use the rsx-4's as he already has two, and that would give him 4 matched speakers. Otoh, rb25's would definately be a step up, and would most likely not even need a subwoofer for most rooms, especially in small apartments / bedroooms / dorm rooms.

I don't think that the promedia's do dts, but that is just from memory, as I don't have them. But, if his player in the computer will support it, and he has a coaxial output, then all he has to do is plug that into the harmon kardon avr, along with a s-video or composite video out.

I am well into this upgrade - I am getting a Pioneer 100WPC 7.1 receiver from Redtop here on the forums, as he's moving into >$1000 Yamahas.

I still think that RB-25s are a far superior choice. I'll try and sell my RSXs and eventually get a pair of RB-35s for fronts while moving the 25s to the rear.

Well, that sure is one way of saving a few bucks, buying used equipment is definately good in my books. Also, you can buy an older model, that a store might be blowing out, or a demo model that comes with a full warranty. Either way, you are saving money, and can put that towards other things, such as dvd's or cd's.

Believe it or not I haven't been able to find a decent authorized dealer around the NY area. Most of them only carry 1-2 speakers in the reference series. In a couple of hifi shops I went to, the staff acted annoyingly snobby and wouldn't even talk to me short of one word answers.

I guess I am not worth anything to them as a customer unless I have an armani jacket and a rolex on. Oh well...

I still haven't checked all the possible ones though. I think there may be some in Long Island and New Jersey.

Well, I'll actually have a sub, granted not an amazing, one, but the sub from the Ultras should do just fine in a small room, for now anyway. As for a larger woofer size, I would love to have the 35s, however I may simply not be able to afford them, since not only are they much more expensive (almost double the price), they are also so large as to require stands, which cost money as well. Oh we, C'est la vie.