resonant diaphram bass absorbers

DAX616

I have been reading the "master handbook of accoustics". Has any body experimented with the idea of a rigidly mounted board of a certain density ( plywood etc.)and thickness placed at a distance from a wall with mineral fiber or fiberglass board behind it leaving an air gap? This topic is covered in the handbook. The concept is that the thickness and density will detremine the resonate frequency where peak absorption occurs.The distance from the wall and the insulation will help cancel and absorb the bass at and around the target freq. I have a thick poured concrete wall toward my nieghbor's house( a great reflector). Let's say I plan to take a distance of 10" or so from it and use pieces of 3/4" birch plywood (actual thickness 1/2"). It's surface density is about 2lb/ft^2. According to the chart in the handbook this would target 40 hz. Now these are guidlines and approximations. If I did this with five sheets studded @ 24" centers and sealed the chamber behind them what do you thing would happen? Will this trap base and keep it from thumping my nieghbor? Since it is done on the one wall only will it make the accoustics lopsided? Am I a madman with only a little accoustic knowledge who is about to screw up on a grand scale? will my wife never trust my judgement in these matters again?

dax

DAX616: I dunno if this is the same thing, but please check out artto's post (below), which show's what he's done in his Klipschorn Room. He is an architect and is considered one of this forum's acoustics and construction gurus, by myself and most of the other long-time forum members.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=28220&sessionID={0AE645E1-7DA8-47F4-B188-AB2E2016E9FF}

Thanks for the reply picky, I have read artto's posts. I guess one of my real questions is does bass trapping stop bass from going outside (towards my nieghbors house). I have also read a post on the a similiar diy bass trap but no info on how it works.

----------------

On 6/7/2004 11:13:37 AM DAX616 wrote:

Thanks for the reply picky, I have read artto's posts. I guess one of my real questions is does bass trapping stop bass from going outside (towards my nieghbors house). I have also read a post on the a similiar diy bass trap but no info on how it works.

----------------

Thanks for the nice 'plug' Picky!

DAX, to answer you're question, NO. Those are for 'acoustical' purposes, not sound isolation/transmission purposes.