Simon & Garfunkel will be on the road

Colin

... again this summer, starting June 10 in Albany with $64.5 million in ticket sales for the first leg of the "Old Friends" tour

The singers' repertoire is kept strictly to the Simon & Garfunkel recordings, except for Simon's early 1970s solo recordings "Slip Slidin' Away" and "American Tune."

Between the Everly Brothers, Simon & Garfunkel and John Lennon and Paul McCartney of the Beatles, the sound of two voices blending to make a sound distinct from each alone is a powerful thing, he said. It sounds shocking today because no one is doing it, he said.

The average ticket price for a Simon & Garfunkel show last fall was $136.90, well above the industry average of around $50, according to Pollstar magazine.

Simon is halfway through a new album, an intriguing partnership with soundscape engineer Brian Eno.

10.gif

"The average ticket price for a Simon & Garfunkel show last fall was $136.90"

And that's why I'm not going.

Later this summer, I will be attending a music festival that includes 4 days of music with a minimum of 35 hours of performances (that I'll actually see), complete with camping, parking fees, and ticket service charges.....for $125.

It's too bad what is happening to ticket prices. There is an arena 1 mile from my house that books many popular acts, but I rarely go due to the prices charged. Kiss/Aerosmith was $125. Metallica is $75. The Eagles were $125. And that excludes the $7 beers, the $10-25 parking charges and the $10-25 per ticket service fees. When is it going to stop??

That's like paying $5000 for a pair of Cornwalls. I like Cornwalls, but not enough to pay 5 grand for 'em.

It's the Disney model - jack prices up very high, so the loss in numbers coming through the turnstiles is more than made up from the high prices.

7.gif