Need help in making a Klipsch vs. Other, and 5.1/DTS decision.

Negilim

For watching DVDs my computer has a Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1 with a LiveDrive IR, and a Hollywood Plus DVD Decoder card for occasionally outputing to TV. I would like a good but relatively inexpensive speaker solution to compliment this setup. I had originally planned on buying Videologic's Digitheatre DTS. However, considering that Klipsch is about to release a 5.1 setup, and of course the rave reviews of their 4.1 speakers, I am thinking about changing my mind. Unfortunately since I have already purchased a few DTS DVDs, and there isn't a DTS decoder available from Klipsch, I am curious on how I should proceed. Should I get the Klipsch 5.1s, not use the Hollywood Plus, and go for software decoding via WinDVD DTS? Should I just forget DTS entirely and use the 5.1 solution I already have? Or...since I have a Playstion 2, should I just take my computer out of the equation and use it with the Klipsch 5.1s and a stand-alone DTS/5.1 decoder? If so, what company should I get the decoder from? Would it be easier if I just stick with my original plan and get the presumably inferior Videologic Digitheatre DTS? I don't want to spend more than $700. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

you are in luck my friend. You are free to get the Klipsch 5.1's and still get your DTS. The Sigma Designs Hollywood plus card that you have fully supports DTS. you may need a software upgrade through there site however. www.sigmadesigns.com I've sold hundreds of these things and use one myself. Nice card, but starting to get a little out dated.

to get the DTS signal, connect the Digital out on your Holywood magic to the digital in on the SB Live Drive and hook up the Soon to be released Promedia 5.1's to the analog connectors on the back of teh SB Live. Voalla You are now enjoying Gladiator in full DTS Surround Sound.

Enjoy

i tried this and coulndt get it to work.

ive got the H+ card using the digital out to my live drive spdif in but i only got the SBLive platinum (not 5.1 version) and if i play a dvd that outputs as stereo it does work, but when its DD or DTS im not getting any sound, which suggests to me that if you got this to work then its coz the 5.1 version of the soundcard is able to decode the signal and mine is not able to, is that right?

also if that is the case, the signal the SBLive 5.1 outputs via the analog connections will be 5.1? i would have thought it would need a digital connection for that?

Does anyone know if you can watch dvds using the H+ and get DD-EX or DTS-ES? My receiver can decode both of those formats. So far, it seems that the card only can do DD and DTS. But since the card has a digital out, would my receiver decode those formats?

Thanks

-Paul

Hi Paul. The

only card on the market that has support for Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES is the Game Theater XP. With Software upgrades to the Power DVD Software that comes with the unit, it takes the headphone and microphone channels and converts them into the rear centers thus giving you a 7.1 channel decoder.

also Eagle, it was the SB live Platinum that I was using, not the 5.1. The onboard decoder of the 5.1 would just be redundant. The SPDIF "in" connection on the Live Platinums for some reason automatically mutes itself and you have to enable it in advanced audio settings. It took me quite a while and a phone call to figure that one out.

hmmm it wasnt muted,

the strange thing is, it works fine if i output as stereo, for example, 5th element, instead of using the DD 5.1 soundtrack, in the menu options of the dvd (not dvd station or soundcard settings or anythign like that) i can tell it to just use stereo, and setting up the connections the way u said works fine, however when i try to do the same but as DD 5.1 i get no sound at all, thast what made me conclude that it might be coz my soundcard isnt 5.1 and couldnt interpret the signal

any ideas what else could it be?

don't get Videologic Digitheatre DTS..

it's.. not a good buy.. honestly..

the only reason why it's so expensive is because it's not a mass produced model and since the manufacturer is in England, we're paying extra import duties for a very poorly made piece of product.

In my opinion, the DTS decoding is not very good. I can hear clear pops and crackles @ high volumes watching

Jurrassic Park DTS edition (I have to admit it was at max volume)

But I have NEVER heard a crackle or pop on my 4.1 pros... EVER.

and 220W RMS maybe enough for 90% of all dorm rooms.. but not a living room =)