Bass improvement in Heresies '82

Hi all!

I've been out from here for a while... i got to work now so I don't have enough time to read all the posts!

I've been listening to music for a while with my Heresies '82 and I was wondering if there could be any way to improve the bass response from the speaker. I've read a while that someone has changed the back wood by a wider one but I'm not sure if the intention was the same.

I've been also thinking in changing it and making a hole, and make them "bass reflex", but I don't know where and how big should it be.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

DiEGO

Ive done it all. I ported the back panel and it did help provide additional LF material but power handling really suffers (excess excursion of the woofer) Next I built an add-on cabinet on the back that was a double chamber reflex design. It did seem to help lower the excursion of the woofer but it didnt add any more bass and was horribly ugly and so I scraped that.

As most people here have decided, adding a sub is the real answer. But my goal has always been to use a SET or low powered SS and not deal with cheap plate amps and XOs. So my next project is to build a pair of Whamodyne subs. These are high efficiency bandpass subs that require no extra amp or crossover. They are cheap to build and should provide performance into the low 40s at 95db efficiency. Ive played with the design on winISD using Dayton 12" drivers (parts express) and it looks like they may be a cool cheap way to get some bass. The link to the construction article is down but heres a link to posting with the URL and some info.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=25919&highlight=whamodyne&r=&session=

taylor

Thanks.

I've already own a KSW12 but was wondering selling, not before improving my Heresies LF response.

I like the sound this boxes has when I add some bass from the "bass" control in my amplifier. Just +3dB I think.

Anyways... thanks for your help!

Any other suggestion would be appreciated too!

DiEGO10.gif

Hello Diego.

Taylor has given you some excellent advice. He pretty much covers the knowledge base on what can be done to improve Heresy bass. (which is basically nothing) If you are happy enough with the sound boosting the bass from your amp, then that is an excellent solution. Beyond that, a sub would be the only recommended solution.

Taylor, adding to the volume of the Heresy cab was something I'd wondered about. Thanks for posting on that. You have gotten me over my curiosity about that possible mod. 9.gif

If I remember correctly, Trey responded to a similar thread saying to replace the Heresy's woofer with a K-28-EP. Apparently, this will give it bass extension down to 39hz(!) and has better power handling. I believe you can call Klipsch for these. I haven't tried this and I don't know what disadvantages there are in using the K-28-EP.

Really? 39hz, in 1.7 cu.ft sealed box and still 95db efficient?? If this is true, and Ive been looking high and low for this physics busting type of driver, I will order two tomorrow. Anyone using it and can comment on its performance?

taylor

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:59:20 PM ttaylor wrote:

Really? 39hz, in 1.7 cu.ft sealed box and still 95db efficient??

----------------

hmmmm... 39Hz at -?db ? In any case, i'd like to see the T/S of those woofers...

Similarly, Layne audio also sell a Heresy replacement woofer with similar stats... http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/specials.htm which according to the web site "capable of producing usable bass down to the low 30's while still maintaining very good efficiency." You can seach these forums as I've read mixed reviews on here. BTW I think NOS has a pair in his heresy, so he'd be a better judge.

I prefer a good sub. 2.gif

Later...

Rob

I'm VERY suspicious of claims about replacement woofers that will give Hereseys deeper bass yet maintain the same efficiency. Hoffmann's Iron Law and all that.

Plus, given a certain driver and box size and disregarding efficiency, deeper bass must come at the expense of more excursion. And as any true Klipsch fan knows ole PWK hated woofer excursion and it's bad effect on the mids reproduced by the woofer. That's precisely why the man designed the speaker as he did; he traded excursion (and thus extension)away for low distortion.

Now if someone wants to second-guess ole PWK and redesign the basic principle of the speaker....well go ahead and have a field-day but don't expect an improved speaker.

The best thing to do with the Heresey is to listen to it and enjoy it as is. There is no better speaker of it's size, none. Leave it go at that.

----------------

On 6/10/2004 1:11:43 PM TBrennan wrote:

I'm VERY suspicious of claims about replacement woofers that will give Hereseys deeper bass yet maintain the same efficiency. Hoffmann's Iron Law and all that.

----------------

ditto... and the reason why I asked about the T/S of the K-28.

OTOH, given the number of blown woofers in Heresys (vs tweeters in most other heritage), the excursion is probably the most significant limiting factors in their bass handling. Simply increasing the Xmax on the Heresy woofer would probably result in better bass extension (nothing else considered).

Even during PWK's time, Klipsch increased the x-max of their original K22 during it's production run... probably for the same reason.

A sub is still a better solution... 2.gif

Rob