Some advice from the experts?

Swerv

Hi I don't have a fancy setup or anything, I'm just trying to get the most out of what I have on my computer rig.

Here is what I have :

room is 12x11

I have the klipsch promedia ultra 5.1s

ratshack dB meter

spectrum analyzer software/tone generator

with my testing I've come to the conclusion of the following, If I place my sub in the corner ( its a corner desk ) I get the most output accross the board but i get a nasty peak of about 12dB at 55hz, If I place it on a single wall in between 2 corners I get about 6dB peak at that frequency instead with a loss of about 9dB at 80hz and a peak of +6 or more at 110hz makeing for some weird effects. Basically it sounds best without that huge boost at 55hz but I would love to get the most out of this. Can anyone recommend some homemade bass traps or something? I've tried about a dozen placement options in this room and these are the best 8.gif

I think someone may mention to use an EQ, the problem is when I reduce 50hz, it also reduces everything after that.(winamp, foobar etc) also I dont know of an EQ that will work with all sounds in windows xp.

Anyway If nothing can really be done thats ok I'm wondering if there is something I haven't tried yet that might help even out the FR.

Thanks in advance, Ed

9.gif

what kind of soundcard do you have?

The creative audigy line has a 4 band parametric EQ buried in the menus and it affects all sounds going through the sound card. The EQ itself is rather limited and not straight forward, but I could walk you through that part if you wanted.

Btw, are you using the correction values for the rat shack SPL meter?

Also, have you tried putting the sub closer to you? I just recently read a really good article that showed how moving the sub into the room and closer to the listener can drastically decrease the amount of modal effects heard (even though they're still there).

Thanks for the replies guys. I have an audigy 1 brand card. I dont have the option of buying more equipment at this point, I could bring the sub out, but if I do it too much its kind of in the way. Yes my meter has been corrected using an excel chart.

I will give it a shot and see if its any better, but I have a feeling I will loose a great deal of output.

• 2 weeks later...