Upgrade - which is better?

discusman

I currently have KLF20's and C7 for my front speakers and KSB1.1 for surrounds and using Denon's 3801 as my receiver. I have about $1,500 to spend for upgrades but don't know which way to go. I can trade in all my speakers at what I paid for them as long as I upgrade at the same store. I've been reading about the new RF-7, RS-7 and RC-7 but my dealer here don't have any on display so I've not heard them. Here are my choices and just want some folks to comment as to which would give me the most improvement for my money:

1. Upgrade speakers to the new reference series using my Denon 3801 receiver to drive them.

2. Buy an Outlaw 750 AMP and keep my speakers. Some folks told me that this would make a huge difference.

3. Buy better surrounds to add to my current ones since the 3801 can drive 7 speakers and leave everything as is.

thanks.

dis, should be able to now buy another pair of 20s and a good power amp for the rear surrounds for about $1500.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

dis, after reading again, i didn't see any mention of a

powered sub in your current line up. a good $500+ powered sub would be my choice as the first best marginal improvement. u could even spend the whole $1500 on a really good sub or a pair of them.

though many depends as far as your room, tastes & such.

from what i remember on the 3801 u need a power amp like an outlaw to also drive rear surrounds.

so the ideal would be all i mentioned above though that may be hard to swing for $1500. but i guess depending on your variables, it's then either a sub(s) or rear surround 20s & a power amp. & so the $ goes. cwm30.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-14-2001 at 11:02 PM

If you could find some KLF-10's for cheaper those would also make good rears.

If you dont have a sub... you'd be best to get one of them.

As boa said, you can do about 500 on a nice Klipsch

or do the whole 1500 on a Velodyne.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Oh,

ment to say also

KLF-10's if found cheap, and a Klipsch Subwoofer may be able to keep you under 1,500.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

thanks all for the reply .. i guess i was not clear on some things:

1. I already have a subwoofer ... HSU

2. Don't really know what I'm lacking in terms of power on my 3801 ... someone just told me that getting a separate amp would give better soundstage and cleaner sound all around. I would still use my 3801 as preamp.

3. I can't put another KLF? for surrounds. don't have room .. it would have to be one that's hanging. which one's are available and what are your suggestions?

4. Comments on the new reference series. no one mentioned that it's worth the upgrade.

5. What is a better upgrade .. the new reference series or adding a power amp(outlaw 750 is what I'm looking at)

Thats a tought quesntion, my dealor has moved the KLF 30's out onto the showroom floor (not hooked up at all) so I can't compare them. I spent about 2 hours listening the RS 7's a couple days ago with a lot of different music. Unquestionably better highs--the best I have heard so far. They have really worked on that horn harshness/fatigue factor.

The base on the other hand has a lot of room for improvement IMHO. Now I say this cautiously. I was in the showroom and not my house. When I listened to Supertramps "Even in the quietest moments" (which has some really musical low base) I was totally dissappointed. My KSF 8.5's dig on this stuff, without my sub--hitting hard! And I'm also talking about LOW base. I do feel as you go up in hertz there is significant improvement with good, tight base. Will a sub make the difference? I did try a Velodyne (oh no, I've forgotten the model--HGS-10???). Did not help--couldn't get the match/musicicality! May the new ref subs will do it.

Credit due, these are the best Klipsch speaks I've heard so far (no Herritage around here to listen too) and I like them (just more partial to the highs myself). As far as your budget, I might lean towards the speakers. They will be great speakers for many, many years. The technology of amps is changing so fast you may find yourself upgrading sooner than you intend. You could wait for the new subs for a review of their match--and your dealor may stock them by then!

My 2 cents

dis, that's why i have only a 5.1 receiver - there's a fireplace in between my 2 rear speakers Frown.gif

maybe a pair or one c-7 w/ a nice lil sub in the speaker connecton loop would work. could buy those and

a lil 2 channel power amp all for probably $1500 or less.

i haven't listened to the new ref speaks but plan to pretty soon. until that i couldn't imagine getting rid

of my klf-30s & c-7 for them.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!