Can someone explain bi-amp?

BertWright

If I'm not mistaken Bi-amping is a superset of bi-wiring. The idea is that if you have 2-way speakers that are bi-wireable they can accept a separate wire for the high and low signal, which bypasses the crossover. Many will argue that this doesn't make much sense if the wires are each coming from the same set of binding posts on your amp/receiver. bi-AMPING though, sends a different separate amplification to each set of binding posts on your speaker.

That's where my knowledge ends. It would seem that all the crossover would have to be done at the sound processor.

Bi-amping is using two seperate power amplifiers on one speaker, that has seperate inputs for lf and hf. Most new klipsch speakers are bi-wireable, and bi-ampable, providing that you remove the jumper straps that connect both sections of the crossover. These are the shiny brass straps you see on the rear of the speaker, connecting both sets of binding posts.

It is tricky and expensive to do it properly, but running two or three amplifiers into the loudspeaker with an active crossover ahead of them can sound like ten times the power, plus it lets you use delicate flea-powered tubes on the highs and mids, with solid-state on the bass

4.gif

michael hurd put it really well. On the RF's you could run seperate Amp power for Highs and Lows to have each partition(High/Mid or Low) draws its own juice but at full frequency. The internal crossover will split the signal. Opinions vary on how much you will notice the difference with the same amplifier pushing both partitions. If you were to send a warm tube like amp power to high/mids and a ss to the low you could notice a diffence based on the different characteristics of the amps.

Given a 3805 and biamping, I have not tried it with mine - best guess - I don't know how it could make a huge diffence unless the impedance is so different between the upper and lower end that the seperate sections pull more juice. Can't hurt to try, just some extra speaker wire. But from a theory basis I would be surprised to see a significant difference.

True Bi-amping with external crossovers prior to amplification is a whole 'nother story and big fat wallet. That would entail the high/mid section to only amplify those frequencies and push it to the driver, same for low end. Would be very cool to do, but not happening with me. :o(