Wanna Design My House?

i believe a lot of the sound is transfered through direct contact. studs to joists, wallboard to studs, etc.

the more isolated you can keep each from the other the better.

rigid contact is going to transfer sound. i think your wall/joist contact will substancially reduce your efforts. once in the floor joists it will conduct up throughout the house.

if the wall is not bearing there are a lot of options for fastening w/o so much transfer of vibration.

if it is bearing there are ways to minimize transfer and still bear loads.

either way the portion above the wall between the joists with all sorts of stuff in the way will challenge the best. good luck

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This more like what you mentionned...?

Not sure if the image will link when I do a quote from an old post, if it doesn't, see page 1 for the drawing of my downstairs.

Things are finally starting to come around, finding homes for a lot of the stuff that was boxed up when we moved, organizing what's left, I'm finally getting some shelves and work bench into the shop area. Which also means the area for the proposed listening room is getting closer. : )

I did a quick check, almost dial-up speed here at home so don't do much surfing, wondering what's the best price out there for SheetBlok, or if there is a comprable and less expensive product since this thread had legs 2 years ago. For the entire ceiling and one wall I need appx 1000 s.f.. The one link I saw was $350 for a 4x30 roll, or 120 s.f. Times 8 gets to $3,000 pretty fast with tax/shipping. Then sheetrock, wiring, paint, lighting, etc., next thing you know I got my a$$ in a sling!

I realize some of you guys drop 3k on an amp to see how it sounds, might not like it, sell it, move on to something different, but I ain't you. 3K for me is huge, more than I have in my whole system at this point, so will draw a HUGE red flag from the Misses. Just wondering if options and/or prices for acoustical stuff like Soundblok has changed in the last year or so. I still want to do the room right the first time, but need to have the cash on hand to do so.

• 1 month later...