Need turntable recommendation

popbumper

All:

I resurrected my 80's vintage stereo equipment tonite - yeah, nothing exciting, but I was able to pull out the vinyl again and start listening on my Forte's.

OK, I have a Dual 506 turntable. Unfortunately, this thing sat in storage for years, and it is running slow; I can't adjust the pitch to make the sound suitable. Incidentally, it is fitted with a Grado FTE+1 cartridge.

My question is this - I have owned this turntable since new. Would it be worth my while to get it repaired, or would I be better suited to buy a higher quality vintage turntable at a reasonable price? I might also ask for stylus recomendations...

Inputs welcome - I really want to hear my vinyl again....thanks!

Popbumper6.gif

If you can money wise, consider the Project Debut turntable fitted with the outstanding Ortofon OM5 cartridge. The next step I would consider would be the Rega Planar 2 or 3. A little more expensive but great sound - you need to add a decent cartridge. Buying new is a better bet if you can. Turntables have come a long way since the 1980's - buying used you may be buying someone elses problems.

I recently bought a Pro-ject 1.2 table with a Sumiko Oyster Cartridge and I'm very happy with the performance. For around $300 it's an excellent choice. I do miss the automatic features of my old Dual but it's really not that big a deal.

popbumper,

If you remove the outer platter from the Dual, you will uncover the motor. The bushing is probably dirty. Place a drop of isopropyl alcohol (pure 90% or 70%) on the shaft where it enters the bushing, spin the motor a few times, and it will probably loosen up. Wipe off the alcohol and add a very small, and well placed drop of oil where the shaft enters the bushing. Clean up any extra oil or alcohol.

That may solve the Dual spped problem.

Leo