Painting midrange horns

I'm about to "relook" my Scalas.

First step will be to build a box around the EV SM120 mid horns and the Beyma tweeters. For now they're just sitting on top of the bass horn, wich isn't too ugly but the x-overs and drivers are unprotected against dust and other agressions.

finish will most likely be a "pro" matt grey, with a "velvet" or textured finish, matching the color of the bass horns.

I was wondering if I could spray paint the midrange horns the same color as the box, so that it would look like it's part of it.

Would painting the midrange horns (and maybe the tweeter horns too) affect the sound in any way?

Also, I'd like to find some Klipsch logos to stick on the front. Where could i find some?

any thoughts welcome1.gif

Frans

Painting the horns will not affect the sound in any way, you couldn't put enough paint on to make a difference. just make sure to remove the drivers, so that you are refinishing the horn lenses, and not the diaphragms.

I would recommend : scrubbing the horn lenses in hot soapy water to remove any water soluble filth, then wiping them with a solvent designed to remove wax and silicone residues (wet cloth with solvent, then dry with another cloth immediately). A dishwasher will also work wonders for cleaning, just don't tell the wife.3.gif

In order to make a good mechanical bond, you need to rough up the existing paint that is there. I would recommend using a product called scotchbrite, from 3m. There are several different grades, and are different colors to mark the different levels of agressiveness. I would use the red scotchbrite pads, as they are the most abrasive, and are easily found at any autobody supply / auto parts store. After a thorough scuffing, I would recommend that you rewash them with hot, soapy water.

Scotchbrite will scuff textured existing finishes, right to the bottom of the texture, while sandpaper will just take off the top of the texture or "peel". Purchase high quality paint, mask the threads, "tack" with a cloth designed to remove small dust particles, and follow the directions. The best spray cans have a fan spray pattern, which is much better than trying to get even coverage with a round spray pattern. I don't know who decided to make a round pattern spray can, must have been graffiti artists.

As for the klipsch logos, they are sold directly through klipsch. I know that you are not located in the U.S. , but do you have relatives over here? If not, maybe a fellow forum member can buy them for you, and ship them in a birthday card. They are fairly cheap, under $ 5 u.s. each, and an overseas stamp is not worth that much.

Yours look like newer SM120s made out of poly something-or-other. Kind of greasey. Paint solvent may cause to MELT.

I would trim off a sliver on the back side and TEST before hosing the whole thing down.

That's right. The SM-120A is made of polymer. This can swell up when it comes in contact with solvents or lacquer. The other thing is adhesion of the lacquer and the possibility of forming tears. Each sort of polymer behaves different in that. When the polymer is unknown, always do a test.

Bernd