Dale that is some outragous stack of Khorns

Colin

Colin : The second headset came from a damaged in freight pair , i bought them at a freight claim auction and finished them to match my birch 1987's the lower riser i built for 2 reasons , 1 i use to have one that was carpeted and looked real bad so i desiged this one to look like a belle or lascala.

I read an article back in the early 80's or so about rising the khorn off the floor , now for the life of me i can't remember why ? I'll have to see if i can dig up that article because i never throw any magazines away. Bass extention or lifting the horn higher then seated position at a certian distance ? I can't remember now . I've got so use to it that i just never went back .

Second reason was i planed on putting some more speakers in that lower bin, still might happen so i'll have to keep you in the dark for awhile . :)If you look at the angles in the very bottom riser you'll see how one could acheive some very good bass directivity with the proper drivers .

I ran the 2 tops and the bottoms off a electronic crossover with self programable chips , plus a stack of brystons that went to the roof , think i had 6 or 8 mono blocks going at one time.

Got tired of playing :( But my passion is slowly returning :)

DALE34.jpg

post-10527-1381925614105_thumb.jpg

YIKES! 6.gif

This is precisely why many people have a negative opinion of Klipsch. Many owners do RIDICULOUS things with their speakers and think they're hot S%$T!

That can't POSSIBLY sound good. You've got the horns firing halfway into the side of your audio cabinet and your bass bin sitting on an empty (resonant) box. By your own admission, you don't even know WHY you've configured it that way!

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:20:24 PM gullahisland wrote:

YIKES!
6.gif

This is precisely why many people have a negative opinion of Klipsch. Many owners do RIDICULOUS things with their speakers and think they're hot S%$T!

That can't POSSIBLY sound good. You've got the horns firing halfway into the side of your audio cabinet and your bass bin sitting on an empty (resonant) box. By your own admission, you don't even know WHY you've configured it that way!

----------------

Why the hostility when you don't know my situation ?

A) I'm currently in the process of building a designated sound room /combination HT . The new room is an extention to my basement , it is a sunked addition that is 4 feet deeper than the existing basememt. This room will be 10 feet tall with 4 concrete walls covered with the ISO wall system .

Basicly i'm building a recording studio !!!!!! as far as acoustics go .

I know this room does not work ( i'm not that dumb ) If you look closly at the components you will see the CD player sitting on black diamond racing cones and the DVD player on a mission isoplat to eliminate vibration.

This room just had to do untill i could build another one , this gear was all moved from my old house .

B) who said i thought i was hot sh@t ??

c) Empty resonant box happens to weigh about 250lbs , under the kickplate is full of small bean bags ( about 25 per side ) inside the back of that chamber sits 2 80lb sand bags and the bass bin is conected via 1/2 threaded rod .

What is good in your mind ?? What music tastes do you have compared to mine ? Yet you'll bait me with your opinion of how things should be in your world .

My music tastes " WERE " as heavy gauge guitar as possible and loud enough to feel the bass in my guts !! So who gives a rats *** about sound " quality " while listening to metallic or the four horsemen at 140 db .

Try asking some question next time before enlightening the entire forum of your one side opinions.

BTW : this is but a single room in my house , i've got black 1989 khorns upstairs in a 20 x15 room with Mark III mono blocks and a 6SN7 JFL pre-amp.

Plus another rig built around a pair of 1987 lascalas.

People have a negitive opinion of klipsch because guys like you wanting to tell everyone the way it should be when you own klipsch . I thank god everynight that paul klipsch never listened to the nay sayers back in his day .

Just because Guys like me and Q-man feel a need to play does'nt mean were wrong .

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:38:35 PM D-MAN wrote:

Dale, nice! I KNEW I liked you!

You are right up there with Q-man!

Not bad company at all.

DM
2.gif

----------------

Dido !!!!

3.gif

You should post a warning sign outside that room ! Ear protection required .

c) Empty resonant box happens to weigh about 250lbs , under the kickplate is full of small bean bags ( about 25 per side ) inside the back of that chamber sits 2 80lb sand bags and the bass bin is conected via 1/2 threaded rod .

----------------

Guess that answers that !

6.gif

Have you changed the volume of discharge from the bass bin or do you have a home plate style board that seperates that riser from the klipsch bass bin part of the khorn ? In other words cutting off that extra portion from being an extention of the bass horn .

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:20:24 PM gullahisland wrote:

----------------

Actually, the above is why many people have a negative opinion of Klipsch Forum Members. Many Klipsch Forum Members do RIDICULOUS things with their posts and think they're hot S%$T!

"My attitude is improving."

Guys, this last post should make it clear that we're setting a poor example for the newbies. This forum is exactly what we make of it, nothing more and nothing less.

Welcome to the Forum, Zeke. Try not to let the negativity sink in. With luck and a small amount of restraint on everyone's part -- including my own, I sure can't claim to have been perfect -- this storm will pass.

Backburner : Yes the " homeplate " base is the exact same as the one on top of the headset, ( in fact it is screwed and glued to the bottom of the bass section then the riser is bolted to that board ) so the khorn still seals the same way and olny the originaly designed area is used for the bass horn.

Colin : The lower bins were earmarked for 4 (2 each side ) fullrange lowthers. My very " First " plan was to make my own subwoofers or LFE channel but i did the math and the enclosures were to small and vibration was an issue due to the construction process i used.

In other words i'd have to start from scratch to make that plan work and i don't have any more factory grille cloth left .

The lowthers will still work " but " i'm not convinced that amout of $ worth of drivers should be used for this purpose.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 4:20:57 PM Colin wrote:

Only difference between men and boys is the use of their toys.

oops, OT already!

11.gif

----------------

Good thing you never said " girls " or amy would have killed this thread as well .

11.gif

The serious chicks go for the " gas " powered bedroom appliances , too hell with the AA batteries . lol