Reciever Problem Question

thebes

I've got a Setton Reciever that is making constant static and occassonal poping noises (almost sounds like listening to an am station without the antenna hooked up). I presume it needs to go the shop, but before I take it in I have a question.

On the INSIDE of the case there is a switch that has two settings 75 and 50 with a funny looking u/y (can't remember what the sign stands for) next to the numbers. I thought I'd try flipping this switch to see if it would solve the problem (it's currently set to 75) but I'm not sure if I would do more harm then good. Anybody got a clue as to what this switch does?

Additional background: It's a Setton RS 220. Tried the usual, checking fuses, switched the cord, no similiar problems on other amp/receivers on my setup etc.

It appears to be switchable from 110 to 220. Currently set on 110.

Is this like, 64 questions?

I HATE people that don't provide even the simplest information.

What SOURCE are you trying to listen to?

The switch is for high frequency emphasis/de-empahasis for FM, but anymore FM in general is so bad it really doesn't matter. 50µsec is for Europe, 75µsec for the states.

Sorry. The source is a cd changer so it's obvious the switch is not the problem. It's off to the shop for this one. Thanks, though, it's nice to know what the switch is for.

It's a Technics, but I've also tried in on a Yammie and a dvd player. The static is on both speakers, definetly caused by the amp. I've tried switching between the A&B hookups and input sources on the back to no effect. I've cleaned the pots, and turning volume, bass, treble etc. has no effect. There are four fuses which are fine and have cleaned those contacts just to be sure. Most likely something internal.