The standard of DTS and audio DVDs

mandi

I believe it has to be the Eagles, "Hell freezes over"

What other compares in quality? I just love the way this DVD plays. I have played it everyway my system will allow me to play it and I think I am just going to start over again.

Hell Freezes Over is recorded in DTS, a format that uses compression in a manner that part of the waveform is lost. The Eagles' Hotel California is recorded with Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) with 24 bit words at 96 kHz. The two channel version is 24 bit a 192kHz. MLP allegedly allows the original wave form to be fully recreated. Hotel California sounds better than HFO in my opinion. HFO is very good, but there are too many other good titles to make it the champ.

I would like there to be more high resolution music that is mastered adequately. Too many remixes are weak and not worth the investment. The new Telarc SA-CDs are of very high quality IMO. The Telarcs have been kept fully DSD throughout the mastering process.

Bill

Mr. McGoo, so what your basically saying is the old garbage in, garbage out, not as far the artists effort, but to try to rescue recordings that were either not done well originally or the tecnology was lacking at that point.

In other words we'll never really be able to fully experience what someone, oh say, Edith Piaf, really, really sounded like.

I guess either now or in the near future all music will be mixed in both 2 and 5 channel from the git go.

At this point I only have about 4 or 5cds in DVD-A or SACD and so far I'm not that impressed. I guess it could be the player but I suspect these formats have a ways to go.

Right on!

HFO was recorded a mere 10 years ago. The recoding was apparently of high quality and was carefully re-mastered. It is very good, but high resolution has much more to offer.

The recorings that were done 30 years ago and re-mastered in high resolution produce very high resolution hum and noise. IMO, high resolution will not take off until there is an entire generation of high resolution originals to work from.

Bill