Hooking my dvd player up to the PM5.1 and a hercules game theater XP

Ok, kind of a complicated post.

This is my situtation. I AM going to buy the klipsch promedia 5.1 system when it comes out.

This is want I want to do, and some problems I have.

-I want to hook up my pioneer DVD player, that does not have an onboard DD or DTS decoder up to the Pro Media 5.1 for use on my computer.

-I want to have DD decoding with the speakers, DTS is optional.

-I do not know if I am going to need the Audio Tornado since there is that PowerDVD software. (can i use software if I am using my pioneer dvd player, and if so what would I lose by doing that in comparison to using the Audio Tornado)

-I do not know how exactly I would hook up my DVD player, I understand i'm talking about video here.. but I thought i'd get this out all in one post.

-I'm going to be getting a Hercules Game Theater XP.

I guess the gist of this post is these 2 questions...

1)If I can hook up my pioneer DVD player to my computer, should I or shouldn't I but the Audio Tornado if I am getting the Hercules Game Theater XP with the PowerDVD software? Will I be loosing sound quality if I use the software instead of the AudioTornado?

2.)This question is about the DVD player, will I infact be able to hook it up to my computer? If so, how?

SIDENOTE:-No one has to answer that second question if they don't want to, I understand this is an audio forum. Just if you know it, then plese answer, thanks.

------------------

I like sounds.

Just so I understand correctly, I assume your talking about an external Home Theater DVD Player that you wish to watch and listen to on your PC.

Whether or not you will be able to watch DVD's on your pc with an external player will depend on your video card and what it has for in's and outs.

As for audio, it will work just fine. you won't be using any pc software to run your dvds though so if your player doesn't have a decoder you will need one.

Might I sugest that a better apropriation of funds would be to just by an internal DVD Player for your PC. Then you will have everything you need and save some money to boot.

That's just the thing... I've already bought this home theater dvd player, and I don't want it to go to waste. Now, i'm not saying that i wouldn't use it on a t.v., i just want to use it with the awesome picture of a monitor, and the awesome sound of Dolby Digital on the pro medias.... Smile.gif

I guess what i'm saying is that i'm not going to buy a dvd player since i already have one. hehe

plus, i would assume i would get better picture and audio quality from a 300 dollar high quality pioneer dvd player then from a 50 dollar computer one.

As far as the video card stuff goes, I can get any one I want, because all this stuff will be for a new computer i'm putting together....

Oh yeah, and i was wondering, if i want a super fast card, say a geforce 2 ultra or something for gaming, AND a card that has ins for the dvd player, can i run 2 cards in the same computer.. how would the computer know which card to use when i'm playing games, or watching a movie?????

------------------

I like sounds.

what kind of outputs does your dvd have? if it has 5.1 channel outputs, i believe you can attach those directly to the pm 5.1 or any other speakers with preamp. getting the picture into the computer monitor is another thing, gotta have some sort of decoder or something. i use a pioneer dvd rom which costs 50 dollars and the quality is great even when i do TV out into my tv. i dont see a difference with my sony dvd which i have with my home theater outside. anyway, hope this helps.

Man, if you're willing to pay for a kick *** video card AND a card for TV-in VIVO stuff, get a Geforce3 with everything on it. The Gainward CardExpert Geforce3 PowerPakIII with DVI and VIVO is about $360 if you can get a good deal. without the vivo/dvi it's maybe $319, but you want the VIVO by what you say. I love my Geforce3, it is a hell of a performer.

Sounds awesome! But does that come with dvd software? If not, is dvd software downloadable?

Another thing i don't know.. .is if i hook up my dvd player to this card.. will i be able to play dvds... like will the dvd software be able to recognize a foreign video source like this?

------------------

I like sounds.

My Leadtek GeForce3 came with a DVD player so I assume other graphic cards will also, if not someone will know where to get Windvd 3.0 DTS. If your building a new system get a DVD interally, you won't notice a difference in picture quality and it would be a hell of alot easier to configure than using a HT player.cwm44.gif

umm.. that huge face is kind of frieghtning...

actually..

i'm really really set on trying to use my already purchased home theater dvd player... i'm not going to just let it go to waste.. that would be such a waste of money...

plus, what i'm trying to do is make my computer into not just a computer for games.. but a complete media thang...

it will include..

PM5.1

DVD WITH DD, and possibly DTS

Cable television

FM radio

Able to play video tapes

Able to record video tapes

Able to play games with awesome sound quality..

and even have a remote for all this jazz(t.v., dvd)

it will be like the best t.v. ever made, with DVD, awesome sound with DD, a radio that i can record off of, a VCR that i can record off of, and not to mention a top of the line computer.......plus.. i can take anything i get from radio/internet/tapes.. and burn them on cd.....

hells yes, i hope it can happen.....

------------------

I like sounds.

Since your going to do all that then a good start on a graphics card would be a ATI Radeon All in Wonder, it has all the bells and wistles for making it a center piece for a HT system. The only drawback is it only has 32mb of DDR ram. Smaller face this time. Good luck!cwm3.gif

actually.. i really want/need a super fast video card(geforce 3, or ultra) since i am first and foremost a gamer...

i guess what i want to do is get some cheap tv tuner card that gives me video in, and hopefully have a fm tuner... and then also get a geforce 3/ultra for gaming...

------------------

I like sounds.