Amp for RB-75

JBP

Thanks for posting your movie and music tastes, room dimensions, speakers and front-end equipment in your system profile, this DOES help forum members give you thoughtful, insightful answers. What kinda watts? Craver? sweet, little 70s vintage, solid-state harmon/kardon receivers (less than $100)?

multi-channel? movies mostly? have the subs already?

10.gif

The set-up will be used primarily for movies. I have one PB2-Plus now, will get the second after I move.

I'm getting impatient with the all the delays and want to go ahead and purchase some of the speakers, 2 RB-75's and RC-7. That's all I have room for at the moment.

I've also been considering just using RB-75's instead of RF-7's for the front. The more I read and think about it, with dual subs and not being concerned with music reproduction, the towers shouldn't be needed. Plus, using bookshelves instead of RF-7's will save about $1000, which can be put towards an amp or amps.

With a HT consisting of 6 RB-75's and RC-7, what would be the appropriate amplification? I'm going with B&K, either 125 or 200 wpc. Thanks

• Like 1

I have used a B&K ST2140 on RF-7s. It did a very good job with the RF-7s run as small. The older 140 watt B&K is very similar to the 125 watt model. On the other hand, my Sunfire Cinema Grand II at 225 watts x5 does a much better job with bass with the RF-7s run as small. There is also more detail on all 5 channels.

Between the 125 watt B&K and the B&K Reference amps, I would choose the Refernce amps every time, budget permitting. I would consider a used Reference amp or a demo to save money and still get the better amp. If you change speakers in the future, the 200 watt amp would run a wider range of speakers. The down side is more waste heat as well as the higher cost.

IMO there is no right or wrong answer here. This is a matter of preferences and expectations. The higher power amp will usually have more detail and better bass. There is bass produced by a full range speaker below the crossover per the slope of the crossover.

Bill