Difference between Digital Dolby & Promedia 5.1 in layman's terms?

tcpool

I've read several viewpoints about the Digital Dolby 5.1 capability: Some say the Promedia 5.1 is not

Digital/Dolby 5.1 capable while others indicate that the sound card decodes & gives Promedia the ability.

I'm somewhat a novice & would appreciate your insight.

If I have the following two setups:

1) Sound Blaster Platinum 5.1 + Cambridge DTT3500 speakers.

2) Sound Blaster Platinum 5.1 + Promedia 5.1 speakers.

The Promedia speakers certainly have more power. Aside from that....in layman's terms, what would be

the difference in between the two?

Speakers are just speakers. They move air. the speaker is not what would be dolby compatable. WHat you need is some sort of reciever/decoder to process a digital signal which i'm almost cerain the sblive 5.1 does. In your setup i'd say go with the klipsch because they sound so good and have much more power.

Evan

Someone correct me if i'm wrong on this please.

nope, your entirely right Evansbee. The 5.1 SB Live with the klipsh will work just fine indeed. Not the best card for the job but certainly a workable solution.

And just to clear up any misconceptions for ya TC, As long as there is a seperate (discrete) signal being sent to each of the 6 speakers, it is Digital 5.1. It doesn't matter if a card in the speakers decodes it or if your sound card decodes it, or even if your PC decodes it as long as it sends 6 different signals to 6 different speakers. And for the love of god, save yourself the time and agravation of buying the DTT3500's, going home, listening to them, Realizing there kinna crappy, having to return them to the store, ordering the much supperior Klipsch and then waiting another week or two for them.

Get the Klipsch, You will be VERY happy.

Thanks!....based on what you're saying, it sounds like I would not have to buy a decoder (like the Audio Tornado) to get Digital or Dolby 5.1 because the sound card would take care of all that.

So, there would be no difference in features/sound effects between the DTT3500 and the Promedia 5.1 when I use the SB Platinum 5.1 sound card (the Promedia would of course provide better & more powerful sound because they're simply better speakers).

Followup question: Is there a better soundcard choice that the SB Platinum 5.1?....(Many on these forums seem to like the Hercules Game Theatre KP).

I love my sblive platinum 5.1, but i am just as impressed by the game theatre xp. Personally i chose creative just because they have a good track record with me. THe game theatre is a little bit less expensive and some may argue that the breakout is better, but i still think the sblive is the choice. It's really just a personal pref.

Evan