Proper center channel implimentation?

TommyC

Let's say someone has a nice 2 channel setup using a nice old H/K receiver and a set of Heresies. This person happens to get a very good deal on a second pair of Heresies because one has been seriously damaged in an unfortunate moving accident. What would be the best way to set the third Heresy up for center channel operation? The H/K 730 has 2 sets of speaker outputs. I am trying to decide whether to get the other Heresy or not. If I don't buy them he is going to give them to his brother, who is a serious DIY'er, to play with.

Thanks,

Tommy C.

Hey, could this someone be you?

A center for 2-channel? Or do you want to work on an HT?

I think the Heresy was originally designed to be a center between 2 Korns. How or what signal was used to feed it, is not something I've not run across.

I have seen an older Scott tube amp(272?), that had a "center" something or other.

I'd still try and rescue the Heresys from the savage beast, no matter what. 2.gif

If you are wanting a derived center channel, you can build a PWK style minibox, pick up another vintage HKx30 and run the center through one channel, and you will have it. There are diagrams on this board for the derived center. The question is this, will the derived center improve your listening pleasure? You will have to try it to find out! I've built two of the miniboxes, one for me (for use with three Cornwalls), and one for my brother (who is using a Cornwall between two K-horns). For some music the derived center seems to improve the imaging, especially in his system where his speakers are farther apart.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=9992&sessionID={4ADE8471-70F1-4375-BEA1-8117BB7BEEBA}

I went ahead and got them but decided to sell them to a friend who is a cabinet maker by trade. He said he can repair the busted up cabinet and will then just have to replace the broken Tweeter to have a Big upgrade over his current garage sale speakers. Thanks for the answers, though! Good info to file away for future reference!