buying sub off the web?

troostj

Hello All, this is my first post in this forum.

I am looking to buy a Klipsch RSW-10 Sub-woofer.. (to match with my RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3 combo, which I got at tweeter for 50% when they were upgrading to the RF-3II etc stuff 2 yrs ago!)

I looked thru the web and found the sub at three different websites for 660.. brandnamez, acousticsounddesign, and sounddistributors.

I also emailed my local klipsch dealers and told them that I was looking for that sub, and yada yada and looking for a good price.. and that I could get it for 660. They all emailed me back saying that they could never come close to matching that price, and that I should not buy from the web because Klipsch is cracking down on unothaurized dealers who are selling gray market or defective product. hmm

What do you guys think? Do you buy stuff of the web.. I see that the stuff on the web does not have the klipsch factory warranty..

what is your advice? Should I pay like 900 at the store? so I can get a real sub? or Im I getting ripped with a sub-par copy of the sub in the web or is it all BS and the ones on the web are fine?

and 2nd qs, what do you guys think about the sub?

Caveat Emptor. Yes, Klipsch is cracking down on gray market. Whether you are getting real product or not depends on the source. Some have been around quite a while and are quite "reputable" (if I may use that word - I know Klipsch folks would say otherwise by mere definition of gray market 9.gif ). Only you can decide if you're comfortable with a gray market purchase - is the savings big enough to offset the potential pain?

i find that a store in my area (NYC) has about the same price as the online gray market area. But the price is usually the same after you factor in the shipping costs. Oh btw the store is www.jr.com they show about market price on klipsch products but if you happen to be in the area and take a visit to the store the store offers in store discount plus the usual 10% off

Jay, I didn't know you lived in NY heh!

As for dealer prices, I haven't been able to find many dealers who carry a full line of Klipsch in and around the NY, who are small enough to haggle the price down to realistic levels. On the other hand, I did manage a pair of RF-3IIs for under $500 a couple of days ago from an authorized dealer : )