HELP - considering upgrading Quints to Sf-2's (should I?)

BillA

I have Klipsch quintets and I upgraded the sub to the KSW 15 powered unit (over the 10) and upgraded the center channel to an RC3 center.

That helped out quite a bit in my overall sound (felt center was weak and the KSW15 was actually in stock when I bought the quintets and the 10 & 12 were not so i got a 15).

Anyways that has served me well for about 3 yrs now but I am looking to get more out of my two fronts vs the two front quints I am running right now...

I just feel like they are somewhat lacking in terms of front mains, I run alot of music dvds and music related tv concerts etc thru my home theater plus of course movies too.

I was at best buy the other day and listened to a set of SF-2's and those really seemed like they might match up to my current set and add that midrange sound that the quints are lacking...but the problem was I couldnt hear the sf-2's WITH the quintets, it was either or, 2 different monsters, the quints reminded me of mine (almost lacking in front mains) the sf-2's seemed very full bodied so to speak, something I think that might really give me that front main speaker PUNCH that I am looking for...

Can anyone tell me if this is a good choice/match as a front speaker replacement with the quints for rears, RC3 for front and ksw 15 for sub?

(basically switching out the two main front quints for the sf-2's)

My reciever is a Onkyo DS575

actually here is my home theater webpage too

http://www.ftlosm.homestead.com/Home_Theater.html

Also is there anywhere I can buy these SF-2's cheaper than best buy? (online or in person - doesn't matter).

Thanks for any replies or input from anyone who has upgraded from a quintet to a floorstanding speaker for fronts.

Bill :)

StevePerryFan2001@yahoo.com

----------------

On 6/30/2004 7:42:33 PM BillA wrote:

Can anyone tell me if this is a good choice/match as a front speaker replacement with the quints for rears, RC3 for front and ksw 15 for sub?

(basically switching out the two main front quints for the sf-2's)

----------------

If you can swing it, the SF-3s would be an even better match, especially if you have an RC-3 center. The SF-3s are very close in configuration to the original RF-3 speakers.

---------------

Also is there anywhere I can buy these SF-2's cheaper than best buy? (online or in person - doesn't matter).

----------------

As far as getting the SF-2s cheaper than Best Buy, you are almost going to have to go online or the used market. If you are going to do that route, how about trying to find a pair of RF-3s to go with that RC-3 center instead. If you cannot find the original RF-3's then the newer RF-3II's will certainly work as well (both of which have been superseded by the now current RF-35). These are excellent speakers. I had the RF-3II myself before trading in for the RF-7s (and I actually felt bad kicking them out of the house).

I recently upgraded from Quintets to an RC-25, RB-25 fronts, and RS-25 surrounds. Since you have a reference center, I'm going to highly recommend that you get reference fronts. I'm going to suggest that you audition the RB-35s as well as look for the RF-3IIs and/or the RF-35s. The RF-35s go down to 37Hz and the RB-35s go down to 45Hz. 45Hz is still well into your sub's range, so you won't be missing a thing by going w/ the RBs. Just some food for thought.

John

u dont need full towers to fill the void... your sub handles the lows very well... just upgrade to some rb35 fronts... and perhaps rs25 or rs35 for rears and you should be set.

try goodguys.com, there is a 10% off all online orders + free shipping. the good thing about goodguys is that they are a very reputable dealer and authorized too. you can get a better deal at acousticsounddesign.com and sounddistributors.com... but they arent authorized and cs aint so hot either - if you are going to the unauth. route, might as well go ebay.

but yeah, rb25/35 fronts... and rs25/35 rears... should be a killer system!

good luck!

My only problem is that I can't find a local dealer (besides best buy - who doesnt even carry the rb-35) and I would really like to hear them before buying them, I did listen to the sb-1, sb-2, sb-3 series bookshelf speakers at best buy and I was not impressed (especially listening next to the SF-2's or SF-3's)...

I don't even mind the quintets for the 2 rear surrounds, but for the two front mains (paired up as quintets right now with an RC-3 center and a ksw 15 sub) the quintets for 2 front main seem to be lacking to me - and I have spent a good deal of time in the Onkyo settings menus, trying small and large settings things like that...

Those RB-35's look neat and all and it would be great if I could HEAR them somewhere but that I know of (thru the Klipsch site) my dealers (best buy is the only one showing) dont even carry them...

Anyone live near East Lansing Michigan and wanna help a guy out (listening party at my place or yours with some SB-35's?)

Bill :(

----------------

On 7/1/2004 3:18:38 PM BillA wrote:

My only problem is that I can't find a local dealer (besides best buy - who doesnt even carry the rb-35) and I would really like to hear them before buying them, I did listen to the sb-1, sb-2, sb-3 series bookshelf speakers at best buy and I was not impressed (especially listening next to the SF-2's or SF-3's)...

----------------

Did you try any of the following dealers? I looked them up in the dealer locator (make sure you use the "reference" dealer locator) using zip code 48826 (according to a zip-code finder when I put in "East Lansing, MI" for city/state.) These all should carry or at least let you listen to the Reference 35 series speakers (and possibly maybe even have a pair or two of RF-3II's that they are trying to unload at discount).

STEREO SHOPPE

5301 S. PENNSYLVANIA

LANSING, MI 48911

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

PHONE: 517-394-4370

FAX: 517-394-0687

www.thestereoshoppemi.com

DEALER

STEREO CENTER INC.

G-3490 MILLER ROAD #5

FLINT, MI 48507

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

PHONE: 810-732-2220

FAX: 810-732-2296

DEALER

STEREO SHOPPE

2335 WEST STADIUM BLVD.

ANN ARBOR, MI 48103

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

PHONE: 313-663-3600

FAX: 517-394-0687

www.thestereoshoppemi.com

DEALER

Im a dork, I dunno why when I did that search that it only brought up Best Buys, thanks so much for the info, I am gonna try to check out that one in lansing tomorrow (just walk in) cuz its been a while since I was in a good home theater store...

Ok I am just gonna ask this cuz I am somewhat green about these things,

First what happened to my RC-3 center channel, do they just not even carry it anymore? (I see an RC-35 now but that is the closest).

Second, is the Reference Series a step up from the Synergy Series in true audio quality? In other words would a set of RB-35's sound better than a set of SB-3's ?? I heard the SB-3's and wasn't impressed with them (at best buy) but taking someones recommendation here I would seek out trying to find those RB-35's and give them a listen as a possible alternative to my first choice (what I liked when I heard them SF-2's).

Third and final question for the moment LOL, If I own the RC-3 Center are other R series units made to match it somehow sound wise better than the S series?

Hoping when I call these places tomorrow they at least have the RB-35's to give a listen to in person, would be NICE if they had the SF-2's also (for side by side) but I know the SF-2's on their own sounded MUCH better than the SB-3's and BOTH the SB-3 and the SF-2 blew away my two mains I have been using for 3 years (quintets)...

Thanks for putting up with me and being so patient about answering my novice questions.

----------------

On 7/1/2004 8:30:25 PM BillA wrote:

Ok I am just gonna ask this cuz I am somewhat green about these things,

First what happened to my RC-3 center channel, do they just not even carry it anymore? (I see an RC-35 now but that is the closest).

----------------

The RC-3 was superseded by the RC-3II, which in turn was superseded by the current RC-35. It was the same for the RF-3 and RB-3 (RF-3II -> RF-35, for example).

The RF-35 should match with the RC-3. Same with the RB-35s. That dealer should be able to let you take a pair home and try them out.

----------------

Second, is the Reference Series a step up from the Synergy Series in true audio quality? In other words would a set of RB-35's sound better than a set of SB-3's ?? I heard the SB-3's and wasn't impressed with them (at best buy) but taking someones recommendation here I would seek out trying to find those RB-35's and give them a listen as a possible alternative to my first choice (what I liked when I heard them SF-2's).

----------------

Definitly! The Reference series should be a definite step-up from the Synergy Series. In my own personal comparisons, I found the Reference speaker to be a bit more detailed with better clarity than the corresponding speaker from the Synergy series. However, the Synergy Series speakers are, as you well know, no slouch themselves. I've compared other similiarly priced speakers from other manufactuers to the Synergy and in nearly all cases, I found the Synergy to a better sounding speaker, with better clarity and dynamics. The only possible exception was the JBL Studio series, which they unfortunatly, no longer make. In that case, I found myself really liking the JBL S312 and probably may even gotten that over the Klipsch SF-2. However, I found the RF-3II that I already had at the time to be an even better speaker than the JBL S312.

Also, that Reference will be an order of magnitude better than the Quintets that you are currently using. And lastly, and this is probably the most important, especially in home theater applications (since you did indicate this is mostly for watching concert DVD's and movies), is that if you get the speaker model that corresponds with your current center, you'll have a front that matches all the way across (Left, Center, Right). That, alone, is the main reason why I suggested looking into the Reference series speakers, especially if you can find an older pair of the RF-3 or RF-3IIs.

----------------

Third and final question for the moment LOL, If I own the RC-3 Center are other R series units made to match it somehow sound wise better than the S series?

----------------

The short answer is "yes". Refer to the paragraph immediatly above.

----------------

Hoping when I call these places tomorrow they at least have the RB-35's to give a listen to in person, would be NICE if they had the SF-2's also (for side by side) but I know the SF-2's on their own sounded MUCH better than the SB-3's and BOTH the SB-3 and the SF-2 blew away my two mains I have been using for 3 years (quintets)...

Thanks for putting up with me and being so patient about answering my novice questions.

Bill
:)

----------------

The Synergy is only currently carried at Best Buys. Most likely, what happened when you tried to use the dealer locator, you went and used the "Synergy" dealer locator. That is why you only got Best Buys.

Now, the only real way to find out how these speakers will work for you is to actually take a pair home. Also, if you truly want to find out how those RB-35's compare to the SF-2s or SF-3s is to get a pair of each home and actually try them out. Keep the pair you like and return the others (or return them all and try something entirely else out if you find yourself not happy with any of them). That is what I would suggest. I've made numerous trips back and forth to my dealer trying out various speakers until I was happy with what I got.

Let us know how it turns out. I'll be curious to find out what you end up with and what your impressions are. Somehow, I have a strong feeling you'll end up with a pair of RB-35's in the end. 12.gif

Ok I went in today to a local shop,

Listened to the Quintets (what I have now), the RB-35's, the RF-15's and the SF-2's (surprised they had a set of SF-2's)

side by side, quintets blown away by all (as I knew)...

RB-35's , well not bad but I liked the style of the floorstanding units...

So onto the SF-2 and RF-15's - both thru same amp same CD (with switcher),

back forth back forth, switch a/b/a/b/a/b/a/b 10 mins later, even eyes closed so I didnt know,

everytime I was picking the RF-15's...

So I have narrowed it down to the RF-15's (or higher) didnt listen to RF-25 or 35's (I ran out of time)

I DO plan to go back tho soon and do the side by side of the RF-15 and RF-25's and maybe even the 35's for side by sides

and I will probably buy a set that day too.

Can anyone tell me ABOUT what I should expect to pay (decent price) for a set of two black

RF-15's or RF-25's (mabye even the 35's)...

Just trying to get an idea if the shop I was at was competitive or not, they want $575ish for a pair of black RF-15's

I didn't get the pricing on the 25's but I thought he mentioned if i went up to the next in that series it would be about $200 more, but I didnt get into $200 more for a set of RF-25's or $200 more PER speaker for each RF-25 etc etc.. (again I ran out of time UGHHHHH and had to get going)....

But before I go flash the visa, have any of you all sat down side by side and gave a listen to the RF-15 and RF-25 or even RF-35 and if so what were your honest thoughts sound wise, much different????

Also if you all could help me determine what fair prices are for the 15,25, and 35's and if those are decent prices that I was quoted on the RF-15's - I would greatly appreciate any input.

----------------

On 7/2/2004 8:03:58 PM BillA wrote:

RB-35's , well not bad but I liked the style of the floorstanding units...

So onto the SF-2 and RF-15's - both thru same amp same CD (with switcher),

back forth back forth, switch a/b/a/b/a/b/a/b 10 mins later, even eyes closed so I didnt know,

everytime I was picking the RF-15's...

So I have narrowed it down to the RF-15's (or higher) didnt listen to RF-25 or 35's (I ran out of time)

I DO plan to go back tho soon and do the side by side of the RF-15 and RF-25's and maybe even the 35's for side by sides

and I will probably buy a set that day too.

----------------

Excellent! Sounds like it was a pretty fruitful experience, as well as a real eye-opener. You've heard yourself how much better the Reference can be over the Synergy (although the Synergy is not a bad speaker by any stretch of the imagination, but still).

----------------

Can anyone tell me ABOUT what I should expect to pay (decent price) for a set of two black

RF-15's or RF-25's (mabye even the 35's)...

Just trying to get an idea if the shop I was at was competitive or not, they want $575ish for a pair of black RF-15's

I didn't get the pricing on the 25's but I thought he mentioned if i went up to the next in that series it would be about $200 more, but I didnt get into $200 more for a set of RF-25's or $200 more PER speaker for each RF-25 etc etc.. (again I ran out of time UGHHHHH and had to get going)....

----------------

Unfortunatly the local dealer here in F'burg, VA no longer carries Klipsch, so I never got to really get to listen to the newer RF models, especially side-by-side. I did get to listen to the full Reference 35 package in Indy last summer and I'll admit, I was quite impressed. I did used to have the full Reference 3II package, which really did sound good in my house, only for me to return them all and get the Reference 7 instead (ooohhh yeah!! 9.gif)

As for pricing, yeah, what you were quoted sounds abour right. Around $600/pair for the -15's, $800/pair for the -25's, and around $1000 for the -35's. The "$200 additional" the dealer quoted you for the RF-25s over the RF-15s is per pair, not each.

----------------

But before I go flash the visa, have any of you all sat down side by side and gave a listen to the RF-15 and RF-25 or even RF-35 and if so what were your honest thoughts sound wise, much different????

Also if you all could help me determine what fair prices are for the 15,25, and 35's and if those are decent prices that I was quoted on the RF-15's - I would greatly appreciate any input.

Bill
:)

----------------

Again, since the local dealer here where I live no longer has Klipsch, I was unable to listen to those newer Reference models side-by-side 8.gif. Thus, I cannot help you there. If if I did, I would most likely tell you what you've already found out on your own by listening to thise yourself. In the end, get the pair you like best that you can afford. The general rule of thumb when it comes to Klipsch speakers is to get the biggest pair you can afford and that will fit in your listening space. To be honost, I would seriously consider the RF-35's since they will match the best to your center, but you certainly won't go wrong with the RF-25's. Get what you can afford and like the best.

As to price quotes, here is a tactic that seemed to work with some folks on here. Go on the internet to any number of these on-line dealers and see what they are offering the model of speaker you are interested in. Print it out and take it to your local dealer. Say to the salesperson, "This is what I can get these speakers for if I went on-line, but I much prefer to buy them through you. What are you willing to do for me?". I highly doubt you'll get what is offered on the 'net, and I would not even expect that, but they may be willing to come down some. The worst they can so is "no", but more than likely, they may give you some kind of discount. Especially if you mention that you may be back in the future to get better surrounds, components, etc.

Let us know how it all turns out. Sounds like you are definitly on the right path to finding audio nirvana 2.gif

I auditioned the RB-15s and 25s side-by-side when I was auditioning for my upgrade. I found the difference between the 15s and the 25s to worth the price, for me. I also auditioned the RF-35s, but they were in a different system. The differences between the 25s and the 35s were more subtle than the differences between the 25s and 15s.

John