Dirty Contacts or Bad Amp?

dougdrake

Hey - I've got a Yamaha DSP-1000 Integrated Amp with a motor driven volume control. Sometimes one or both of the channels will get kind of scratchy sounding, and it seems as though sometimes the trouble is cleared after a vigorous left/right turning of the volume knob (with source set to a non-used input). That makes me wonder if it is a case of just dirty contacts, or if it is likely that the amp circuitry is going bad. Anyone have any thoughts on this before I take the time to open it up and Deoxit? (Feeling kind of lazy, again... )

I'd be willing to bet it is just dirty contacts. I had a boom-box were the volume crackled when adjusting the knob. I sprayed that rat-shack contact cleaner in to the pot and twisted the knob a few times. Cleaned it right up with no more crackling.

I'll bet it's dirt - I've experienced that same deal over the years with various rotary controls, throw levers, et al. And I've done a temporary 'fix' by cranking the bejeebus out of the control, back and forth, until I can apply a shot of TV tuner cleaner (or whatever)

The only bad thing; To me, at least, it seems that once you start applying cleaner, you have to apply it more and more often. Your equipment gets 'addicted' to it, necessitating more and more frequent applications. It might be due to wear and tear opening up the gaps a bit, making more room for dust and dirt to get it(?)

Whew! I saw the title "Dirty Contacts..." and I thought this would be about those photos I emailed you (I thought I already appologized?).

Since you're now in Colorado, I'd just douse the control with a can of Coors2.gif .

Actually, Doug, you and I are VERY much alike when it comes to this stuff...

BTW, I finished my first week of re-schoolin' (learning Windows XP, not all that different from Macs), and start AutoCAD on Tuesday. The most shocking thing I've learned is that it is now standard to type a single space between sentences. I'm sorry, that's just wrong...

I spanked it with some contact cleaner and it fixed it right up - turns out it was the source selector switch, and not the volume pot.

Hey, Steve, was thinking about you the other day. Hope you and Becky are doin' great! We're in CO now, and loving the temperature versus the desert we left behind.