onkyo and klipsch

JP3

can someone help me out here...

I have an onkyo tx-sr701, and have wired the reference speakers to it. All is ok with the exception of the sub. When I set up the channels, i get no response from the sub.

Am i supposed to get the hiss like i get from the others when running thru the testing for the Db.s?

Additionally you shoud know that i have 2 sets of monster cables running in one length (36 Feet, one 24 the attached 12) attached together with the monster connector.

I have the connection running from the sub out (as prescribed in the onkyo/klipsch manuals), going into the LFE connection on the back of the woofer...

is there something i'm missing?

thanks in advance

John

Move the sub close enough that you can test your subwoofer cables individually. It may be one of them or the connector. Otherwise, try the rca inputs to see if it is your lfe input. You didn't say which sub you have, so I'm just guessing. My sub only has speaker level inputs and rca(right and left). I have 1 monster sub cable from the sub out of my Onkyo that terminates into the female end of a Y connector, then the 2 male ends of the Y into the subs rca inputs. I recently found that my Y had gone bad, and had to test by elimination. Good luck.

Jon Fleming

It sounds like you have a bad lead. Test or change it if you can. If you run the cable from the LFE output into the back of your sub i.e. left and right input via RCA plugs and lead you should get pink noise sound from the sub when you select speaker setup on your Onkyo. If you don't have a sound level metre you will need to set levels by ear. When setting the sub level there is always a tendancy to set levels too high when doing it by ear. Choose the sub level you think matches your other speakers then just to try it, knock that level back a couple of db's.

Take care with using a Y connector into the back of your sub from the single LFE lead from your LFE Onkyo output. Some subs like the M&K 150 THX won't like it and may overload. On the other hand the Velodyne CHT series may not get enough signal so you should use a Y connector.

If a Y connector is inappropriate, in that case one of the RCA inputs in the back of your sub will have an input marked left/mono or right/mono. Use that input instead which will give you the summed bass signal for both channels.

I know it sounds pretty obvious, but I'll say it anyway. If you have your main speakers set to large (and your bass settings to subwoofer or mains) then your sub won't play. I don't know if this is universal throughout the industry but this is the way my Yamaha's have worked. Your crossover may be different, but if not then this may be your culprit.

Set the mains to small and your bass to sub, or set your mains to large and your bass to both (mains and sub).1.gif