RB 5 II's as back surrounds?

tmilam

I think that I am going to go with the RC 7 & RF 7's as my center and L/R mains. I have a pair of RB 5II's in hand. Would I be better off using the usual RS 7's as my rear surrounds (5.1 system) or would the RB 5II's fit the bill just fine? The RS 7's are just monstrous in size.

----------------

On 7/5/2004 5:35:14 PM tmilam wrote:

I think that I am going to go with the RC 7 & RF 7's as my center and L/R mains. I have a pair of RB 5II's in hand. Would I be better off using the usual RS 7's as my rear surrounds (5.1 system) or would the RB 5II's fit the bill just fine? The RS 7's are just monstrous in size.
----------------

If you've got the RB 5II's now, use 'em. They'll do fine as surrounds, particuarly if your system is used for movies AND music.

I'm glad to hear support for this option. It will save me a little more money in the future. The question that I have now is how to place them behind the viewing area---would stands be the best way to do it or are they able to be mounted on the wall? Problem is that the primary viewing/listening position is just a few feet from the rear wall where the speakers would be placed. Any and all suggetions are very much appreciated.

You should be able to wall mount them. (The new RBs have a slot on the back.) You can also use the rubber "feet" on the back to eliminate vibrations.

Is there a sidewall placement option? This would be better for the sound. Also, mount them a couple of feet above the listening position.

John

If you're 5.1 or better, definitely go for using the RB5 II's for surrounds. You want more full range, directional sounds these days. Plus, I echo the sentiment that they would be better for music if you're using one of the various 'surround' modes or just a 4-speaker send.

If your room is deep enough, you might also wire the RS7's along the side walls as an experiment (that's where they were made to be mounted)

I didn't know the RB 5II's were wall mountable, but it's good to know. There is no sidewall placement option as the left side of the room is open (foyer and dining room). Only a column separates these three rooms. And a couple of feet above the listening area is the best height? Well, I will take a look at how I'm going to mount these badboys.