maximum continuous power

einis2

Welcome I think you'll like it here. While Klipsch speakers are very efficient, they can be run on the equivalent of candle power, they can also take just about anything in the way of wattage that you can throw at them. Hope this helps.

just wondering- is the klipsch power rating a thermal rating or mechanical rating? I always thought it was thermal like most other manufacturers use. can I run my klipsch sb 3's over 100 watts of continuous power if I don't over excert the driver-8" bass driver??

to answer your ? IMO,

ultimately, it comes down to how far you are excerting the driver- I can excert my klipsch sb3's well over there limit(but im VERY carefull and never have) if the bass is turned up- and there isn't even that much watts going to them- but thats for certain songs. 99.9% of what I play the klipsch handle it regardless of receiver settings.

someone said that they have ref floor standers for surrounds- do you have the bass managment turned down on them?? seriously, theres no way you could give those 125 wt speakers(or what ever they are) around 200- 250 wts conts. have you actually pulled out a tester of some sort to see whats actually going to those speakers? maybe im wrong??

hoping for some feed back into my ?, and i don't mean to hi jack this thread either. just thought my ? were similar to what was asked

scp53

SHE'S BREAKING UP CAPTAIN!!!

seriously, rather have too much standby wattage then send distorted output through your Klipsch. You'll go deaf before you blow them up. Relax and have fun! Your amp will be generally putting out only about 5-10 watts anyway.

Maximum continuous power is limited both mechanically and thermally.

Some speakers, depending on enclosure can be damaged with relatively low wattage ie: a ported speaker fed a test tone below the tuning point of the enclosure - causes the woofer to move uncontrolled. This is very stressful on the speaker joints, and if the motor is powerful enough, can send the voice coil out of the gap, possibly damaging the coil from hitting the pole piece on re-entry, or hitting the backplate.

Other long-stroke designs are so well suspended, that they will run out of thermal power handling long before they hit their mechanical limits, as long as they are used in appropriate enclosures.

Bottom line - use your judgement, and be careful. I have only ever damaged one woofer, in years of playing, and in that case, it was a thermal failure.