HD Widescreen question

djk952

I am in the process of purchasing a new widescreen HD ready television. Along with that I have to get a new directv hd receiver.

I have a very nice surround system that I have built piece by piece over the years. All Klipschs of course, and a Sony str-995. the system sounds great but I only get pro logic quality audio from the satellite since the receiver I am using is so old.

To my need for info:

Once I upgrade my TV and Directv receiver, will all programs be in Dolby Digital, or just the ones that are high def? My old receiver just had the white/yellow/red conncections where the new receiver will have optical and component hookups.

Also what about picture quality in regular satellite programming, will that improve with 16.9? Will all programs be in widescreen, or will I have to watch the big black bars on the sides for several programs?

I know the HD channels/broadcasts will be greatly improved, but I am confused as to the benefit of the new technology with regular digital programming.

I am looking at the new Samsung DLP hd2 50", or the Sony LCD rear projection 42".

Any help would be appreciated!

I have dish Network and a Hitachi 53" widescreen. There is a button to change the viewing aspect from 16:9 to 4:3 or stretch the picture to fill the screen. As Far as DD, I believe most are broadcast that way, but not all. Your dish menu should also have a setting for wide or full screen.

Not all programs on DirecTV are Dolby Digital. In fact, the majority of them are not. They all do provide digital output, however, but most are simply PCM.

Some channels provide a Dolby Digital 2.0 soundtrack, and others provide a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. 5.1 is becoming more prevalent than it was in the past.

Picture quality will only improve on 16:9 with the limited programming that is output in the 16:9 format. Take a look at the DirectTV HD package (+ HBO, and Showtime) to see what channels will be HD and widescreen output. Outside of these channels, and certain programs such as ER that are letterbox, you'll need to either stretch the picture, zoom in on the picture, or watch it 4:3 with bars on the side.

What is shown in HD is well worth it for the experience, but there is not a huge amount of content today. How non HD/Widescreen content is dealt with will vary depending on the equipment that you have.

Adam

Thanks guys! I do have another question.

If you stretch the picture is this the same result as the full screen dvds in which you lose part of the picture?

While all programming might not be in Dolby Digital, will the the ones that aren't be in pro logic? Or will this improve, albiet slightly?

What gives you the best picture, the stretch or 4:3 with the black bars? I know this is probably subjective, I am curious.

Thanks again! 9.gif

The sound from each channel depends on the channels.....I would say most are Dolby PL and a few are 5.1....

Most of the Premium movie channels are 5.1 like HBO and Showtime etc....

Most of the HD channels are 5.1 when the material shown is in 5.1

For the screen sizing....The Directv box has 2-3 settings....depending on model.....One where it sends the 4:3 signals full size and has grey or black bars on sides of TV....Other where it expands 4:3 pic until it fits screen width and you lose some top and bottom picture....then another where it will stretch pic to fit screen width.....

Also you have to remember your TV has some control of how the picture is handled.....Some will have a special stretch feature that stretches the edges of pic a bunch and leaves middle alone....then cuts a bit of top and bottom so when showing a 4:3 pic on 16:9 screen...it looks somewhat normal...

I suggest checking the manuals online for the dirctv HD receiver you are interest in at Directv.com.....

Also before buying TV...check how it handles various screen foramts.....you will be much happier inthe long run...

Good luck and enjoy....