RF7, RC7, bose and Denon 3803 questions/ comments

Ou8thisSN

Well, I'm finally getting to a point of being able to replace the Bose AM-10s with the Klipsch from downstairs. I have ordered an RC7 to compliment the RF7s. Didnt order the surrounds, as I dont know if the RS7s are right for me or something else, so for the time being i'll use some bose something or other speakers laying about. I do have a few questions for people with similar setups...

Do you guys use banana plugs with all your terminations?

What guage wire do you run?

What are your settings on the Denon, for this setup? I'm also going to run an SVS PB2+ with this system. I mean, do you set speakers to large, small, etc.

How does the difference in sensitivity figure into the calculations between the RF7s and RC7? the RF7s have 5 more db/m than the RC7, does that mean, i need to lower the individual gain on it, or raise it on the RC7s?

When I ran the bose, I had to raise the gain on the center channel to +5 to be able to hear it. is this because bose sucks or just an inherent shortcoming with center channels, I mean, do you guys have all your speakers at the same levels or differnt ones? I dont have an SPL meter.

I need some help in mounting the speaker, it will most likely be on the floor, since the projection screen takes up most of the room, starting about 20 inches off the ground. How can I angle this speaker up from off the floor? is there an easy solution?

pics to follow...

I use just the stripped wire ends. The only benefit to using banana plugs that I can see is if you move your speakers frequently, then they would be easier to disconnect and reconnect. Depending on your run of wire, 14 ga. is ok, for longer runs 12 ga should be used. Set your speakers to small and set the crossover to 80 Hz. As far as sensitivity goes, if you set your system up with a disc such as Avia and use an SPL meter, you will tame the sensitivity issue. SPL meters are cheap and you need one to set up your HT properly. Get one!1.gif Carl

I had a Bose HT in s previous life (701's for mains, 201's surround and their only center speaker). Yes, Bose sucks. In particular, that center channel was terrible and had to be cranked way up (like +7) to hear anyone talk during movies. You won't have that problem with the RC / RF 7 combo, but you would benefit from using the SPL meter.

I use banana clips for convenience (never heard any impact on the sound - positive or negative).

Regarding speaker set up, that's widely debated. Even with the RF-7's, I have them set to "small" (all speakers to small), and the cross-over set to 80. I don't know if there's a "right" answer for that one - just play around with it and see what you like.