A/B test setup help needed

The VTL preamp is finally in the mail. When it gets here I would like to do a A/B with it and my current preamp which is SS. I want to split the signal from either the TT or the CD player and send the same signal to both preamps then use an A/B switch to send the output to the main amp. This would allow quick changing between the preamps and I could hear the difference.

The setup would include using a constant source, say pink noise on the test lp I have to adjust the volume of each unit to the same spl to place the units on the same playing field.

The question I have is will I harm the preamp (either one) by just cutting it off with an A/B switch while the unit is receiving signal and is outputting the signal? Do I need to put an A/B switch on the input as well to not load the circuits of the preamp?

I would really like to do a fast A/B switch but if needed, I will shut down and switch the units over. All help in appreciated!

A review of what I hear will follow. Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry, I thought I was clear. The switch is between the preamps and the main amp so that only one preamp will be connected at the same time. The source was to be constantly fed to both preamps. You are probably right though, a switch on the inputs would be good, I was just trying to cut down on wires runing across the room