First upgrade - finally rb-5 II to Forte II

sire

After a couple of bad experiences on ebay I had decided to save my dollars for a reference upgrade of my mains to rf-5 or rf-7s. Figured you could not beat brand new but of course there is no longer any Klipsch dealers in town. I ended up working some overtime which gave me some extra $$$ and instead of applying it to bills, I decided what the heck and surfed ebay.

I first heard Klipsch Heritage in the 70s and I was impressed. Do not have space to go Heritage large but I could go the reference floor standers or maybe a pair of fortes. A pair of Forte IIs were up for auction advertised excellent condition with factory boxes. I couldn't afford new reference but the Fortes were in the ball park.

I am the new owner of a couple of Forte IIs Oak Oil. The rs3s have been moved to the closet, the rb5s have been moved to the back and I still have a rb5 as center. I am thinking I will have to join the search for the elusive Academy. I have no doubt I paid too much but they were supposely in excellent shape. I had the OT $$$ dollars and an opportunity so I went for it. Now I had to sweat the UPS delivery. I thought I was going to have another bad ebay experience as the seller did not ship for a week with no communication. I thought I was shafted again. They arrived yesterday. I did not see any large crunches or dents in the boxes but when I moved them indoors I could hear loose stuff sliding around in one of the boxes. I opened one box and was glad to see the corner styrofoam corners on the speakers. I pulled one speaker out and inital inspection did not reveal any gouges, large scratches, or dents. Wow! Now for the next one. I opened it up and identifed the casualty. The riser was in 4 pieces, 3 out of 4 plastic corner supports/attachments were broken. The speaker itself looked just as good as the other one. I have no doubt the factory corner blocks protected the speaker. Of course Klipsch does not sell these plastic brackets. Anyone out there have spare plastic supports or a spare riser for sale? I am thinking about taking it to a furniture/cabinet maker to see if they can repair the riser or even better. I am thinking they can duplicate the risers but I want them to be 12 inches tall. They did sound better when I sat on the floor. I am going through placement issues but I do not have alot of choice. I have about 7.5 feet between the speakers against a flat wall and the limit from the wall is about 16 inches. I have lost the wall space for my sunfire architectural sub. The speakers are at 13 inches now from the wall. I am thinking increasing the height will make the biggest difference in sound at the moment. I am hoping the rb5s will work out for surrounds. Placement is better than rs3s. I know I am babbling but I have wanted to own a set of the older speakers for a long time. I figure I can sell these speakers if they do not have exactly the sound I am looking for. Time will tell.

Mike

The same thing happend to me a month or so ago. Off E-bay two chorus2s from california, I live in florida. I lost one base too, destroyed. So what I have for you is the MDF laminated Oak plywood, brand new sheet I had to buy, I rippid it down to proper width already. You will have to take and have a carpenter miter cut the size you need.With natural tounge oil, I have that too, it matches perfectly. It cost me about 120$ to set up for this, wood, router bit, tounge oil, but I have what you need.It is the same wood as Klipsch uses, and the same router groove, and same color, let me know,you pay for shipping and you can have a strip of the wood. Rob6.gif

----------------

On 7/15/2004 9:08:49 PM sire wrote:

The riser was in 4 pieces, 3 out of 4 plastic corner supports/attachments were broken. ... Anyone out there have spare plastic supports ... for sale?

Mike

----------------

I can let you have 3, for the low low price of the cost of shipping. PM with your address and your desired method of shipping. They still have some hot glue on them, so you might need to clean them up a bit.

AND PROMISE ME, that if you absolutely HAVE to ship Fortes, you at least remove the risers for transit2.gif !

Outstanding thanks. PM is there. I really think it is great members of the board actually have no problem assisting strangers. Restores my faith into mankind. I do believe if you try to live and do the best you can and not take advantage of people or situations that things will come around for you in the end.

Thanks again. If you need any assistance in the future do not be afraid to ask.

Mike