Sub Match for Cornwalls

colterphoto1

Hi gang, I have a KSW-12, which I was quite happy with as a mate to my Cornwalls in my old home, which had hardwood floors and plaster walls, rather live. I thought it helped out in the lower octaves nicely, even though I had to use it at full power. My Corns are hooked up to Yamaha RXV850, prologic receiver with only 80 watts per side, rarely driven very loudly

My new place has very thick carpet/pad in the Family Room floor where the Sub is placed and although I have experimented with room placement, it just isnt' cutting it. I miss the 'floor shock' I used to get. I'm sure I could help the low/mid output by placing the sub on a hard board for a reflecting surface, but the very lows would still be lost. Is there any solution, or do I just need a more powerful sub?

The lacklustre performance from your KSW is probably room related... either your room has a large resonance or you are sitting in a null. Another that is possible is that your old room had a large peek at your listening position and you have become accustomed to this sound from your ksw. I doubt the effect you are hearing is related to the downward firing nature of the sub.

Depending on what the cause of your dissatisfaction is, there are different solutions. If placement experimentation is an option you may look into some room treatments. If your old room was the problem, this would be a situation where upgrading would be most noticeable.

BTW, the KSW isn't one of the better subs klispch made, so your flatter room may bring this out more now, than before.

Good luck...

Rob

I use a paradigm servo 15 with my chorus2s and have a nice result. For the money of a VMPS Larger sub, that would be my choice if I were in your shoes, you can throw a lot of power to them to match the volume you will need with your 101db mains and the power your using for them. I only use a couple of watts with my chorus2s, when I use my sub.

I use a paradigm servo 15 with my chorus2s and have a nice result. For the money of a VMPS Larger sub, that would be my choice if I were in your shoes, you can throw a lot of power to them to match the volume you will need with your 101db mains and the power your using for them. I only use a couple of watts with my chorus2s, when I use my sub.