ProMedia 4.1 = my humming angel, please help

Hi,

I've been lurking here around quite a while now only to discover this is more than just a technical forum but a friendly audiophile gathering as well.

Anyways

I am in need of a bit of technical assistance.

My ProMedia 4.1 have been bought for less than a year and I've had the sub/amp RMA'ed to the store a couple of times already.

First problem was that it didnt power up, second was that the rear speakers were buzzing.

Now even this third amp/sub is still buzzing at me.

Front satellites are fine, its the rear ones that hum and provide a high frequency buzz which can give me quite a headache.

I dont really want to go back to the store anymore as it would just mean more waiting time for it to arrive from somewhere and for all I know, it could have the same problem.

I dont think my soundcard is the problem. It is SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Platinum. I have also tried my Nforce2 onboard soundstorm sound too which is supposedly to be better than SB Live 5.1.

Ive tried using 97% isopropyl alcohol to clean the wire ends and plug ends but nothing has helped so far.

I have switched the front left speakers with the rear ones and it is still the rear channels giving the problems so the speakers arent the problem.

This problem has gone on for a while and today is that day that I am fed up with it.

I live in Vancouver Canada, i think it would be outrageously expensive to ship this amp to Klipsch.

My sub/amp is plugged into an APC surge protector btw.

What should I do next?

Thanks in advance.

Evil Techie

i talked to an audio guy at a local store where i bought it from

he said its probably not the power problem, he thinks is a simple case of a faulty amp

but for sure ill try to bring it to a friend's house nearby and see if power IS the problem

thanx

and in the meanwhile other suggestions are welcome because im so annoyed by the buzzing

thanx

i email PM tech support

hope ill get an answer back soon

... i really dont want to ship my sub from vancouver to klipsch, its gonna rip a hole in my wallet!

anyone got any other ideas?

cool the amp down with a fan if heat is a problem?

buy a $200 line conditioner?

meh

i have it plugged into an APC battery backup UPS already

so i dont think its a problem with the power

im so dissapointed in my klipsch ProMedia 4.1 now

annoyed by it too

the hum on the rears does it apear even if nothing is plug on the input of the promedia?

it can also be the control pod...

i had 2 set of promedia 2.1 and a promedia 5.1, in 220 volt. it sounded well but one of my friend had a 110V promedia 2.1 with a power adaptator to convert it to 220.there was a slight hum because of the power tranciever.

do you use something to convert the voltage?

try to set your promedia elsewhere in your house, or try to move the wires.

some radio frequences can be catched by the wire wich act like an antena.i bet it s this.

Hi, i have moved the sub to my living room from my room before

i dont think its the control pod, nor the power since im using straight 110v to 110v (no conversion)

i will have to try to move the wires around to see if that is the problem.

could you explain "ground-loop" for me please

thanx

----------------

On 7/20/2004 2:19:47 PM Evil Techie wrote:

Hi, i have moved the sub to my living room from my room before

i dont think its the control pod, nor the power since im using straight 110v to 110v (no conversion)

i will have to try to move the wires around to see if that is the problem.

could you explain "ground-loop" for me please

thanx

----------------

it should be the ground of your power plug wich is not totaly clear or missing.am i right?

to be sure it doesn t come from the source try to invert the front and the rear input.simply swap the minijack on the input of the promedia or at the output of your source.*

if the humming sound now come from the front the problem come from the source.

thanx for all the replies

ive switched the front and rear plugs (blue and green) already and the hum remained on the rear speakers...

ive tried unplugging the cordless phone in my room, turning my cell phone off and non of those helped

promedia tech support said to get a new control pod but since they dont deal with canadian customers, i have to deal with Micron in Ontario(Im on west coast, Micron is on East Coast)

it has been about a week since i emailed Micron and I still havent received a reply yet.

I dont think Micron is willing to do anything for me. I guess thats what happens when a company outsource its tech support in its neighbouring country.

my apologies to klipsch

Micron FEDEX'ed the CP-1 quietly

btw i have no spam filter on the email i used to contact the tech support of klipsch and micron

im having a lot of trouble removing the original CP-1 from the front right sat though

ive followed the instructions, removed the metal stand but the pod just wont budge

it is in there very tightly and im thinking of giving it some WD-40 to let it slide out easier