Kg4 Woofer (K-8-K) Observation

kfalls

I'm a big Klipsch fan, especially the Kg4 model. I'm always looking for good deals on ebay and noticed many times when looking at older Kg4s the dust caps on the K-8-K woofer have distortions and wrinkles in them. Is this a result of settling, moisture, what? I've had my Kg4s for over 15 years, used daily, but mine look fine. Any guesses?

Well, my cat did mine...

Dents in dust covers (unless they are metal) can be easily removed without any damage by bending a pin tip over to form an "L" and sticking it into the dent and pulling it "out". If done carefully, the hole is far too small to be of any consequence, but if needed, a tiny drop of glue can be used to seal it. Or a glossy coating of speaker cone weather proofing over the entire thing will certainly fill any pin holes and disguise any repairs.

Dents, while unsightly, cannot be effectively heard; so if there is a grill cloth covering it, then all is well. Dents will, however, effect the resale value unfortunately, because everyone can see them easily...

Metal dust covers are much more of an unsightly deal and I don't know of any way to fix them aside from reconing the whole thing...

DM 2.gif

No it's not fingers. It's more of a wrinkle, a distortion as though one edge was pulled. I've seen finger pokes and this looks completely different. I've seen many examples on ebay. Usually included with dialogue from the seller saying the speakers weren't used often. I have a theory since they're not used much, they sag and distort from not being pulled to center by playing. Look at the picture and tell me what you think.

post-4051-13819257225682_thumb.gif