unpowered subwoofer ?

seti

When I bought a pair of Belle's I also got a custom made isobaric subwoofer because he would not split them up. The sub was supposedly designed by someone who was a consultant for Cary Audio but I can't prove it and the cabinet was made buy a great woodworker in the Ozarks. It is made from walnut(pic attached)

and even uses the same grill as the belles. All I know about the guts of this critter is that it has 2 12 inch peerless drivers. I have a tube based system but for the sub I would prefer solid state. The problem is that it has no built in amp or crossover. What would members of this forum recommend for this sub? Can I purchase a unit that has crossover and amp in one unit? This is my first sub and I am just not sure what would be the best course of action.

Any advice much appreciated!

post-15544-13819257226602_thumb.jpg

do you want a plate amp? those are the only amps that I know of that have phase control, crossover control, level, etc. if you want a very well featured plate amp look at these at partsexpress.com:

kilowt one:http: //www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808

500 wt one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-806

one thing that they have that many other sub amps(the ones Ive seen) don't have is a full parametric bass EQ- this will allow you to tune it to the room and your tastes.

If you would go after one of these I d get the 1000 wt one. those peerless probably can take 300-500wts so that amp would be better. if nothing else it would give you headroom and you won't have to over work the amp.

what is the is the ohm rating on those drivers? how are they wired?

goodluck

scp53

I am not going to use this in a ht setup but just to hit where the belle's don't. I only heard this sub once when I purchased it and I wanted to set it up in the same config to see if I like it at home. The guy I bought it from had it setup in his house had a 200 watt NAD amp and an external crossover.

I believe these are the drivers. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=297-608&DID=7

* Power handling: 300 watts RMS/425 watts max * Voice coil diameter: 2" * Voice coil inductance: 4.2 mH * Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms * DC resistance: 3.5 ohms * Frequency response: 18.1-500 Hz * Fs: 18.1 Hz * SPL: 90.6 dB 2.83V/1m * Vas: 4.92 cu. ft. * Qms: 3.7 * Qes: .21 * Qts: .20 * Xmax: 12.5mm * Net weight: 14.6 lbs. * Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 12", Cutout Diameter: 11", Mounting Depth: 5-1/4", Magnet Diameter: 5-3/4".

*greek to me*

I unfortunatley do not know how they are wired as they were custom built and I did not get any schematics.

Thanks for the advice....

those are pretty decent drivers. you'll need to hook up some type of tester and find the load. some one else on the forum would know how to do this...

how much money are you planning to spend on a amp? $150-$200-$500??? if you ever plan on using the sub more seriously for HT you'll want a bigger amp. given the specs of the drivers a 500 wt would probably be sufficient.

scp53