(OFF TOPIC) Oh my GOD, this would be SOOO cool to HAVE!!!

Gluegun

What is this? is it a piece of computer hardware? NO! A set of speakers? NO!

It's a mental disorder, that would KICK *** to have!! It's called synesthesia. Means the mixing of senses. Ever hear of it? It's this really SWEET mental disorder that I'd LOVE to have. Music makes colors in your brain, and tastes on your tongue, and colors make taste, and letters make colors and tastes... it's like having a permanent Winamp vis in your brain!!!

I just posted this here because a friend on another headphone forum that I frequent has it, and it sounds AWESOME!

------------------

"Feh."

KEYWORDS: consciousness, emotion, perception, subjectivity, synesthesia, neurology.

ABSTRACT: Synesthesia (Greek, syn = together + aisthesis = perception) is the involuntary physical experience of a

cross-modal association. That is, the stimulation of one sensory modality reliably causes a perception in one or more different

senses. Its phenomenology clearly distinguishes it from metaphor, literary tropes, sound symbolism, and deliberate artistic

contrivances that sometimes employ the term "synesthesia" to describe their multisensory joinings. An unexpected demographic

and cognitive constellation co-occurs with synesthesia: females and non-right-handers predominate, the trait is familial, and

memory is superior while math and spatial navigation suffer. Synesthesia appears to be a left-hemisphere function that is not

cortical in the conventional sense. The hippocampus is critical for its experience. Five clinical features comprise its diagnosis.

Synesthesia is "abnormal" only in being statistically rare. It is, in fact, a normal brain process that is prematurely displayed to

consciousness in a minority of individuals.

Blaaaahaaahaaahaaahaaahaahaa smile.gifsmile.gif

GlueGun,

You too can have these effects. Just contact yuor local Lexington, KY ACID dealer! biggrin.gif You will have things happen beyond belief..and you wont even need the Pros or music.

c>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Well, the appeal of this is that it's cheap (FREE!), whereas acid isn't, it's always on, as long as there's music or letters or colors around you, and has no ill side effects. And, since it isn't a hallucination (you SEE it, not think it; it's not in your minds eye), it sounds really cool...

And sounds can have textures and weight and feeling (and no, I'm not talking about bass or inherant sound perception--I'm talking about a mental sensation of touch in your brain!)

------------------

"Feh."

Really, JS, you should do your research!

In fact, in ALL of the reports on Synesthesia I've read (and I've read a lot), these people are COMPLETELY normal--it's just that, for most, music makes colorful designs about 6" in front of their faces. Of course, it doesn't happen for ALL sound, and like most sensory input, it can be ignored. Are you constantly aware of how your toes feel as you go about your day? No? WELL THEN, that's because your brain automatically disregards unimportant sensory input. Synesthesia just mixes some of the input that's already there, so you see black letters as colors, or see music as beautiful pictures, or things like that.

In fact, the only real disadvantages of this are maybe being slightly worse at math than some others, and maybe being left handed.

...ummm...

gluegun, the research has been looking at serious disadvantages, like mental illness, depression, ect. and didn't find any except in some cases slightly poorer math performance. for that you're right.

HOWEVER, try watching a movie (with sound) and having all those colorful designs in front of you... would you like that? I didn't think so.

what about driving your car while listening to your kickass sound system? ...

see, there would be a lot of small disadvantages like this that would far overweigh the advantage of having a Winamp VIS in your brain.