quick DVD player question!

troostj

Hi, Im a total ignorant when it comes to DVD players.. I have a player which Ive been using for the past 3 years (Phillips Magnavox).. which I bought for 50$. Sometimes the player gets stuck and sometimes it cant read certain DVDs.. I'm tired of it, so the time has come to upgrade.

Anyways, I just saw a listing of a refurbished Denon DVD-2800 unit for 256$, should I get it or wait.. will I notice a big difference between the 2800's Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI503) vs the newer Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI504)?

My TVs best input is the S-Video.. does that mean that its not even worth getting a progressive scan DVD player? or should I stick to what I have until I upgrade my TV (SONY WEGA KV-27FS12)?

I would like to spend mid-200s!

Thanks a lot,

JT

That's right - if you're not planning to upgrade the TV anytime soon, no benefit to the progressive scan on the DVD player. Even if your TV has component inputs, it may not accept the progressive scan signal (my TV has component inputs - and I use them - but it doesn't take the progressive signal).