Heresy's off eBay to match my Cornwall 1's?

Raven

I just picked up a couple Heresy's off eBay to add to my home theater setup which is fronted by a pair of Cornwall 1's.

I got a matched pair of HBR's and the cabinets have seen some wear so I'm going to either have someone refinish them or *try* to do it myself. I'm leaning towards having someone do it. Looking to have them match my black Lacquer Corns. If anybody has suggestions, I'd be interested.

Besides the cabinet refinishing, I found out when I received them that one K-77 tweeter was blow. Could hear that right away. I pulled the K-77 out of the cabinet and sent it off to www.simplyspeakers.com for a diaphram replacement. $48.00 shipped. Seemed pretty reasonable to me and it came back working perfectly.

Now, on to my next delemma. Seems that I have an intermittant issue with one of my K-53-K squawkers. Not sure if it's the diaphram or a connection issue. I don't know WHAT it could be but I know what it sounds like.

It basically seems to crackle a little then cut out..then comes back and it sounds good. But it keeps doing it. Only one of them does it. I tried disconnecting all the terminal connections from the network and then retightening them down. Doesn't seem to help.

Could it just be a diaphram going or what? If I need to replace them, should I replace them with the K-55-V's or K-55 somethings to better match the corns?

Also, while I'm jabbering about the speakers, I played them a bit and I had the back unscrewed for the one exhibiting the squawker problems. What I noticed is if I have the back cabinet open a bit like 2" angled, the bass seems much more pronounced.

Has anyone ever ported these cabinets like the Corns? Or is that blasphemy? 2.gif

I could easily hear the difference in bass response between the open one and the closed one. Figured somebody here has played with this and can provide knowledgeable information on why it wasn't designed in and why the sealed cabinet is better.

Anyway, enough rambling for now.. I look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the suggestion. I swapped the squawkers between cabinets and the problem followed the squawker.

I guess I'll be sending the K-53-K out for repair.

The guy at simplyspeakers.com told me with the tweeters they were either good or if they were messed up they just wouldn't play at all. I guess this isn't the case with the squawkers because this one would play ok, then distort a bit, cut out and cut back in.

Anyway, guess I'll pack it up and send it out. Anybody have any other suggestions of where I can either get this repaired or replaced?

----------------

On 7/23/2004 2:06:15 PM Stephen Phillips wrote:

It may be a bad cap in the crossover.

Try switching the drivers with each other and see if the problem follows the mid or stays with the cabinet.

We can go from there after hearing the results

----------------