KG 4s Back again!!

JsT/A

Hello,

new to the forum but not to Klipsch, I had a set of Quartets that I sold in 96, what a mistake that was.. after various other speakers I can truly say nothing measured to the sound of the horns and tight bass that I loved..

So to make the story short I picked up a set of almost flawless KG4s on ebay for 250..

They arrived today and there it was.. that sound.. very nice.. Its been a while since I could acutually hear a bow on strings or the inhale of a singer before the note..

The KG4s had been left in the sun so the grills were very faded, a little bit of plastikote black interior fabric dye and just like new! If anyone has faded grills, it works very well and can be found at an auto parts store..

So now to the question, since the speakers have been in the sun, is there any sort of preservative for the rubber surrounds? silicone spray perhaps? there are no cracks but just looking for something to make these speakers last another fourteen years..

For now, hello to all.. Can't wait to add another set of Heritage speakers to the system!

Welcome to the forum.

Ya know, it is kinda spooky. We've had recent traffic from people who had one form of Klipsch in the past, circumstances changed for them, and now they are back with a different model. All good reports. You can "go home" even with something different.

I suspect that the KG and my Quartets use the same surround. I pulled off the grill of the Quartets to take a closer look in response to your inquiry. It does look like there is a classic paper pleated surround with an overlay of a very tough, shiny rubber.

I would say this type of design is relatively immune from deterioration and therefore there is no need for treatment. I would not go out and buy a spray can of Armor-all.

The more common problem with surrounds were from non-Klipsch units where a foam type surround was used. These broke down in about 10 years. They turned to dust.

On the other hand, people investigating worries about aging Klipsch products have been finding that they are not compromised by time, at all.

Best,

Gil

Not sure what it is, but perhaps your mind and memory sticks on the first good speakers you hear.. I does feel nice to come "home" again. It made sense to take advantage of the ebay bounty.. for less than 1k you can collect a system that would of been twice that when new.. I have to ask the question though, why on earth did the heritage series ever have to disappear? I am doing the same thing I did when I bought my quartets 14 years ago, listening to all my music again!!

Thanks for the reply, the KG4 woofers have rubber surrounds, if memory serves the Quartet has a woofer with a coated surround of some sort.. not exactly the same, the passives however are identical..

I didn't think they would age and they feel supple, just looking for a second opinion on them and possible treatment..

thanks again.