RS-25 vs SS-3

edgecrusher

so what is you setup now? just the RS-25 running stereo? that won't sound good(stereo setup, im not talking about using them as surrounds for theater) soundstage wise because they will disperate threw each other. in other words you probably won't be able to hear left and right channels. if you had planned to go with a full synergy setup, you should consider reference because you want them sonically/timbre matched. other wise it will sound weird. can you take the rs25's back? it depends on what you want for other speakers. all I can say is keep synergy with synergy and reference with reference if timbre matching is of any concern. Ive listed to synergy and then reference speakers- definately a difference. to say which one sounds better can be a opinion though... the reference are brighter sounding and more detailed.

scp53

If I keep the the RS-25s, I would have, SF-3 Floors, SC-3 Center, KSW-12 and RS-25s. The main thing I would use the everything for is movies, but I'd probably listen to music on them too. What is sonically/timbre? Things would sound wierd? I can take them back and I do still have the oppurtunity to get a pair of SS-3s for $350. If you could please reply to this as quickly as possible I would appreciate it.

----------------

On 7/28/2004 4:15:50 PM edgecrusher wrote:

If I keep the the RS-25s, I would have, SF-3 Floors, SC-3 Center, KSW-12 and RS-25s. The main thing I would use the everything for is movies, but I'd probably listen to music on them too. What is sonically/timbre? Things would sound wierd? I can take them back and I do still have the oppurtunity to get a pair of SS-3s for $350. If you could please reply to this as quickly as possible I would appreciate it.

----------------

I think the ss-3's are what you want due to timbre matching for those speakers. Timbre matching simply means that all of your speakers will have the same tonal qualities which will yeild a better listening enviroment. I just got the RS 35's for my RB35's. I was running some boston surrounds with my set up, but with the RS it all sounded much smoother and to me the dialog was more clear. Hope that helps some. Im sure someone will come along soon with a better explination than that so hold fast.1.gif1.gif1.gif

• Like 1

----------------

On 7/28/2004 4:15:50 PM edgecrusher wrote:

----------------

I'll also second that I would be more inclined to go with the SS-3s if sticking with SF-3 fronts and SC-3 center. That way, you'll have a perfectly matched system, since all the speakers will be from the same line (Synergy) and model family (Sx-3).

If you decide to stay with the RS-25's, it may be worth considering trading in the SF-3s and SC-3 for RF-25 and RC-25, thus again, staying within the same line (Reference) and model family (Rx-25).

There will be a difference in sound, but which is "better" is, as already stated by somebody else, a matter of opinion. I've heard the S(FCS)-3 myself, and they are no slouch. Excellent speakers in thier own right, and I honostly think they can hang with the lower end of the Reference series (Rx-25 and below) quite nicely. Now, if you go and get RF-35's or higher, well, now you are getting into a new ball-game.

Of course, you'll have to listen to the speakers yourself to determine if you truly like the sound of them. However, the general rule-of-thumb when it comes to HT is to try to stay within the same brand, line, and model family, since such speakers are often designed to work together much better than mix-n-matching brands/lines/models.