Velodyne F1500R question

steamer

Hello,

I am having problems with my sub.It is paired with my LaScala's in a 2 channel setup.It runs fine until I turn volume up to match output of LAS then the sub shuts off after about 5 min.It turns back on about 30 seconds later.This happens at about 11 o'clock on the level control.This has been a problem since I bought it a year ago.I have owned a Velodyne F1500 paired with another set of LAS and it kept up with no problem.Has anyone had this problem or know the cause.Something else to note is the sub sounds muddy,not crisp like my previos Velodyne even at low levels.

Greg

If you purchased it used, someone may have disconnected the servo connection inside it. When the Servo/Accelerometer started ringing in one of mine the Velodyne tech told me that it could be run without it, so I tried it but it definately did not sound as clean (muddy/boomy sounding) and the volume control got touchy (got louder quicker). For instance it would get loud with the volume set on like "2." It sounds like that is what you may be experiencing.

You can check this by unplugging the unit from the wall, and removing the 12 or so screws from the amplifier panel on the rear. Carefully move it out a couple of inches from the back panel and on the left hand side of it there is a small PCB assembly plugged into the amplifier. Their should be two small plugs connected to the little PCB, if one is disconnected (the one on the left) that is the accelerometer from the woofer. Reconnect it and see what happens when you put it back together and power it up. If both plugs are in place make sure that the small PCB is seated properly on the input connector on the amp, no overlapping pins, it is easy for this to happen since it is tricky to get your hands in there while holding the amp in place while trying to connect the small PCB to it.

When it shuts down are the amplifier cooling fins really hot? If so it is being overdriven and the amplifier's thermal protection circuit is engaging. This should not happen unless you are working it really, really hard.

Let me know how things work out for you, if you want further help, email me directly. Parts are still available for those subs and they do sound fantastic when working correctly.

Frzninvt,

Thanks for the input.I already took the amp board to the dealer to be shipped out to Velodyne.When I got home I saw your post and checked the part in question ready to call the dealer and say STOP.Both plugs were secure in the PCB board.Velodyne seems to believe the problem is on the amp board.They will send me a completely rebuilt unit for $275.Ouch...oh well its cheaper than a new sub of the same quality.My other Velodyne(F1500)was a fantastic unit that blended well with the LAS and I believe this one will be the same once fixed.I see you are running 2 F1500R's.I want to find another one and do the same.LaScala's are another speaker without a sub.I believe a sub adds presence to the overall presentation.Thanks again.

Greg