Has anyone used the Outlaw 1050 w/ Heresy I's?

milton10

I am going to purchase an Outlaw 1050 receiver to use with my Heresy-based HT theater. Has anyone had "real world" experience with this combo? Anything I should know about how the two blend with each other?

Thanks in advance for the replys!

Milton

I've used the 1050 with all the Heritage speakers. It is an excellent receiver. You may need some accoustical treatment if your room is overly bright ... it is not quite as mellow as tubes ... I used a tube preamp into it for music which was an excellent combo. The bottom line however is that the 1050 is a fantastic bargain.

Soundog,

Currently, I am using a Yamaha receiver that is in my opinion - on the bright side - and the high end is a bit more forward that I would like. Will the Outlaw "tame" some of the forwardness of the Heresy/Yamaha combo? In other words, would you characterize the Outlaw as a "bright" sounding receiver? If it is bright, would I be better off with a mellower unit?

I understand what you are saying about a "live" sounding room. I have just placed my Heresy's on a thick Oriental carpet, and it has smoothed them out nicely. Previously, with hardwood floors, the Yammy, and horns - the sound was WAYYYYY to bright.

Milton

----------------

On 7/29/2004 7:46:03 PM milton10 wrote:

Soundog,

Currently, I am using a Yamaha receiver that is in my opinion - on the bright side - and the high end is a bit more forward that I would like. Will the Outlaw "tame" some of the forwardness of the Heresy/Yamaha combo? In other words, would you characterize the Outlaw as a "bright" sounding receiver? If it is bright, would I be better off with a mellower unit?

I understand what you are saying about a "live" sounding room. I have just placed my Heresy's on a thick Oriental carpet, and it has smoothed them out nicely. Previously, with hardwood floors, the Yammy, and horns - the sound was WAYYYYY to bright.

Milton

----------------

No, it won't. The Preamp is the primary reason for the brightness. Your best bet to mellow it out would be tubes, or dispensing with it completely (pains me to say that, because i love yammy DSP)

You will be hard pressed to find a better solid state receiver than the 1050. The problem is that the Heritage speakers are a better match to tube equiptment - thus my use of the tube preamp for music. However, you can, as you found, make an adjustment by altering room accoustics (the most neglected component of a great system). If you find it still a little bright, try some absorption or defussion treatment at he point of first reflection. Moving the speakers around can work wonders too. Something that is impossible with khorns. Get the 1050, you won't be disappointed.

Ok, now this may sound silly, but if I match a good quality DVD player with the 1050/Heresy combo, can I pick a DVD player that can produce a smooth, mellow sound (and thus partially achiving the smoothness that tubes impart)?

If there is such a beast, what is it? I don't have the funds or desire to go to a tube preamp, so I am exploring all my options here.

Thanks!

Milton

DVD sound is not as good as CD sound which is not as good as SACD sound which approaches Vinyl at it's best (costly and requires a fastidiousness that's way beyond my capabilities). The 1050 does an outstanding job with DVDs.

No, there is not a DVD player on the market that will "smooth out" the brightness of your receiver either. Remember, you're connecting to your receiver with a digital path, which means that the DVD player's "sound" (whatever that might be) becomes functionally irrelevant, as it's only serving to pass digital information to the preamp stage, which then decodes it.

I refer back to my original comment. If the Yammy is too bright for your taste, either replace it or go tubes on your amplification stage. There really are no other choices.

In the $200-400 price range, you might consider one of the new digital receivers

like Panasonic xr45, xr50, xr70, or JVC RX-F10 and others.

I have been using Panasonic xr45 with Forte IIs. It is a wonderful

match without any harshness whatsoever.

MattS

ymmv