Crown amps for mains?

easylistener

I know several years ago the Crown Macro Reference (or some similar name) was written up quite favorably by Stereophile. It had 750 watts/channel into 8 ohms, and more into 4.

I was looking for a power amp for a second system about 6 months ago, and considered Crown. I try to buy USA product when I can, and the prices on the Crown stuff was...really teriffic.

In the end, I got scared off by the big watts/tiny power supply contradiction. Seems all PA amps are built that way, using switching power supplies or other power supply "voodoo". Perhaps it can be done and sound good...I just don't know.

In the end, I wound up buying used 2-channel Aragon amps (a 4004 MK II, and a pair of 8008BBs) for both the secondary system and upgraded HT. Cost more, and will suck more power out of the wall sockets, but long-term I'm not going to regret it. I'm still searching for one more 8008BB.

Got my first Aragon 4004 in '91 or '92, and except for transformer hum, it's been a total sweetheart. None of the other Aragon amps I bought have the hum, they're dead quiet. I'm going to recommend them MOST HIGHLY the minute I've exited the market. In the meantime, I don't want to drive the prices up!3.gif

The older crown 300's were used a lot with Klipsch. (still sought after today too.) The DA 45/75 are legendary studio monitor broadcast TV Video low powered amps. These are very clean amps as well.

Beware, not all power amps sound good with Klipsch/../ If you do not like what is going in... Your not gonna like what is coming out. Distorted PA power is not the way to go.

I have Mackie 800's, and they are terrific awesome, clean, not even a slight hum at all, with the downstairs system. I highly reccomend them.

MyHamish... Great rack!!! (often a term never said one guy to another..LOL)