What gives??

leprechaun

I have a pair of RS 3 IIs flanking the couch on 30" stands. As my cat was trying (in vain) to evade my German Shepard, she knocked it over and it landed on the tile floor. Damage to the case is quite minimal, but now the speaker does not work. I opened it up (unscrewed the 4 screws affixing the binding posts) and pulled out the wires and do not see anything broken or wires unattached.

Any thoughts as to what broke / how to get it fixed? Please help...8.gif

was it playing when it fell?

Have you tried hooking it up to a set of speaker wires from a speaker that work now?

Also hook up a good speaker to the wires for this one to see a signal is present for the speaker...

those darn cats 7.gif11.gif

maybe your crossover is damaged. those woofers and compression drivers won't break like that...as long as they didn't kit the floor directly. push on the speakers lightly(and evenly) and listen/feel to see if theres a rubbing/scratching sound or feeling. basically it will tell you if the vc is ok and in alignment. this would be a surprise if the woofers are damaged in my opinion. I have synergys that took a good faceplant to the floor. broke off a grill prong and pressed the grill inserts farther into the wood(hit pretty hard). they sound fine. only cosmetic damage. I would suggest(not sure if this voids the warrenty- I doubt it does...) taking the drivers from the bad speaker and put them in the good speaker. actually you don't even need to screw the drivers in . just hook them up outside the cabinet. this could tell you if crossover is damaged in the other speaker. if the drivers from the bad speaker still don't work then you could be sol. hope this helps

scp53

EDIT: actually before you even swap the drivers, Id just look at the crossover in the bad speaker. if it looks cracked thats likely the problem. don't use a flashlight and peep into the cab. pull it out and really look at it- from all angles with good light.

Guest Anonymous

one thing you can do to test the speakers, if you have a voltmeter is to test the continiuty in the cross over, and i just can't spell today i am sorry, the other thing i would suggest to only do for a second would be to open it back up and take your speaker wire and hook it up to the woofer directly to see if it plays any music and that will isolate the problem to the cross over stuff like that etc.