Large surround Speakers. How high off floor?

TroyTN

I have a new pair of RF-7's coming this week and I was thinking of moving my Forte II's to the rears so I would have full range rears. What have you used to bring larger speakers off the rear floor? It seems with a standard couch like mine if I just set the Forte's on the floor the horns would be below ear level. I was wondering how you display your large surround speakers. I'm sure some of you have larger speakers in the rear than the Fortes are.

I currently have a pair of rs-3's high up on the back wall. I am anxious to see if I will like having Fortes in the rear over the rs-3's.

1. How high do you suggest bringing my forte's off the floor and use what?

2. Do you feel rs-3's or the Fortes in the rear will be a better setup? I have the Denon 5800 and listen to tons of DTS cd's, dvd audio and SACD.

I appreciate any input.

------------------

Troy...

My guess would be the Fortes for their richer Klipsch Sound of yesteryear. In my HT experimentation, there was a time when I had my rear KLF 30's mounted atop KSW-12's... and that height seemed perfect to allow the mid-range and tweeter horns to make it over my giant size leather LazyBoy. I also find that height to do better with the dispersion effects of the side-mounted KLF 30's that serve as full range surrounds... which I would recommend for someone that is playing the quality of program material that you are.

IMHO, side surround and rear effects speakers work best when they are aimed just above one's head while sitting in the sweet spot. That keeps your focus up front where it belongs... the ambiance intact, and leaves room for all the attention getting explosiveness the sound engineers can inject into your HT slice of reality. There is nothing like a good deli, a better brew... and the genuine sound of Klipsch!cwm35.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs with Samson 1,000 watt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Walnut Cornwall / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-22-2001 at 11:48 PM

I might be wrong, but I think the Denon 5800 lets you have two sets of rear surrounds, plus the effects, doesn't it? That would let you have both the Fortes and the RS-3s connected, and you can use either (or both, I think) for surround depending on what you are listening to. You might like the RS-3s better for HT, as they are less directional than the Fortes.

Doug

DDrake has a point concerning the directional nature of the Heritage line. I have a pair of Heresys held high aloft the floor. They're on home-made shelving sitting upright, just two inches below the 8' ceiling. I haven't finished playing with position, but the brilliant highs of the Heresy are nearly lost, which is both a good and a bad thing. I want them subdued, not eliminated!

Anyway, for the time being, they are even with my couch, in the back corner of the room, and angled at 45°. The original intention was to angle them more toward the front of the room, giving a more spacious 5 channel stereo sound, but the bass was intolerable! (Bass from Heresys intolerable?)

However, the more I moved them towards each other, the tighter the bass became, and of course, the high end was audible again. I'm still toying with the idea of inverting the Heresys...

Try inverting them, Mr. Blorry. When I inverted my front effects KLF 10's they brought the most perishable frequencies to a more productive life... and let the low notes bounce around on high.

And, right on, with the DD2 observation. As I have posted elsewhere, aiming a horn is more like aiming a rifle than pointing a shotgun. Surprisingly small adjustments in toe-in, mid-range/tweeter height can cause huge "sweetspot" differences. Try to get the most accurate (and patient) ears in the tribe to sit in the center of your anticipated sweetspot and focus and refocus every speaker until you get the right reaction...cwm35.gif HornEd