Promedia 5.1s vs Digitheatre DTS

Delirius

I know this is a klipsch forum, but I would like to hear some opinions on how the new promedias might fare compared to the videologic system.

I already know that the klipsch's will be compatible with 4.1 gaming (having a rear satellite input) whilst the digitheatre has this feature missing.

I'm in the UK, so would be paying the equivalent of about $550 for the dts. I'm guessing the 5.1's will be roughly the same price over here, possibly a bit cheaper. Any thoughts?

BTW, has anyone actually tried out/own the digitheatre dts?

I must say, I've seen dozens of reviews for the Videologic system. I'd sure like to hear them for myself. Most of the reviews I've read where in favor of the Digitheatre DTS, but only by a small margin, and only because they where comparing them to a 4.1 Klipsch setup. So my thinking on this would be that if a 4.1 Klipsch system is "almost" as good as the Videologic 5.1 system, then imagine how good the Klipsch 5.1 is going to be.

Hope some of this second hand knowledge helps.

Yes that does help.

Basically, seeing as you guys have followed the promedias from 2.1 (or whatever) up to 4.1, I guess you'd have a fairly decent 'extrapolated' guess as to the performance of the 5.1s

I'm waiting for a solution for impressive bass for musical purposes, 5.1 audio for DVDs *and* 4.1 gaming so waiting for the new Klipsch may be my best bet. (as Digitheatre DTS doesn't support 4.1, but satisfies the other requirements perfectly)

This message has been edited by Delirius on 07-24-2001 at 06:34 PM

Hated it. bought a digitheatre system for 614 bux (tax,shipping, timport taxes?)

and sucked compared to even my 4.1s

of course. I have a rather large room and the DTS's 220W RMS just seems too whimpy.

The 5.1 along with DTS decoding is good. However, I have yet to experience one DVD with DTS decoding on these speakers. BUT here's what i do know. with the best digital opitcal connection for playing back CD audio, I heard very stinging highs at high volumes compared to just the 4.1 pros with analog decoding. (hmm.. no wondering Klipsch patents/tradmarks? their micro-tatrix horn technology)

and reflecting to the reviews i've read from www.gamersdepot.com and anandtech.com. They have made a lot of false claims on how good the satilletes are!

Since they're from the "siccoro" line(excuse my lack of spelling efficiency) which are supposed to be REALLY GOOD. BUT these speakers are smaller than your average electronic pencil sharpener! (go figure) They really don't pack the punch that the Promedia satillites do. Fainlly. The sub. it's a 'whooping" 12 inch. subwoofer..yea.. like the longer the woofer the bigger the sound. nope! not here. Played the THX theme thing.. and heard distortion of the woofer. I wonder why Klipsch Pros are "THX certified" yea? Smile.gif

I'm very serious about my comments. I know i sound totally leaning for Promedias, but I really wanna let everyone know that unless you have nothing but DTS encodes sources to play and a fairly small room albeit the whimpy 220W RMS, wait for the Pro5.1s or the 4.1s sound just as good as those Digitheatre DTS speakers.

hmm.. how else can i offer more proof? how about live auditions at my house? I live in So. Cali.

cwm35.gif

Hey mike, first of all, the sub is an 8 inch, and the bigger the woofer the lower it goes, not the bigger the sound. The bigger it is, the more power it needs to play loud. And from what I've read, the digitheater is a good system, but I think the 5.1s will be better. Know one will know till there released.

quote:

So my thinking on this would be that if a 4.1 Klipsch system is "almost" as good as the Videologic 5.1 system, then imagine how good the Klipsch 5.1 is going to be.

Not quite. I believe the entire range uses the same satellites with the exception of the centre channel in the 5.1

So with this in mind, and the fact that the 2.1 and 4.1 sound exactly the same, there will be no difference in quality between the 4.1 and the 5.1

The extra $100 will give you slightly louder bass and a centre channel, not better sound quality.

quote:

a digitheatre system for 614 bux (tax,shipping, timport taxes?) and sucked compared to even my 4.1s

Gotta admit this is the first time I heard someone prefering the Klipsch over the Xfires. I remember someone on the 3D SoundSurge board who had the 4.1s then upgraded to the Xfires and loved them.

Also Mark, one of the guys who own the site, had this to say during the Promedia 2.1 review,

"...ProMedia 2.1 also excels but I found myself more often than not also putting the Crossfire (4.1 system) ahead of the ProMedia 2.1. Its not a night and day difference but a pretty consistent impression"

Hmm, well I gotta say Miko, of around the 15 reviews I've read of the Digitheatre now - you're the only one that doesn't seem to have liked it.

Not saying I don't believe you, but are you sure your version was OK and performing how it should?

I've decided to go for it myself - I'll be ordering one at the end of the week, so I'm sure I'll report back to say what I think when it comes. Wish me luck!

I've had to seriously consider this one. I've sacrificed 4.1 gaming in the hope that the N-force, or maybe something else will come along to enable dolby in games. Plus I finally thought I had better see what all the fuss is about with this dolby sound in films stuff, so what better way of plunging in Smile.gif

One query I still have left is to do with the difference in the 5.1 and DTS encoded 5.1.

Do I need something like WinDVD 3.0 DTS or PowerDVD to get DTS sound to my speakers, or will the SP/DIF output on my DXR3 card be sufficient? I know the speakers will receive the DTS fine but will the DXR3 put it out? Sorry for dumb questionSmile.gif

-Delirius

I don't think you can really compare the Promedia 5.1s to the Digitheatre DTS system.

The Promedia 5.1s are aimed at the computer multimedia market, while the Digitheatre DTS's are aimed at home theater. And comparing $400 speakers to $600 speakers isn't fair.

It is not possible getting rear sound in games and music on the computer because of the lack of rear speaker jacks. I'm wondering if connecting the system through digital will alleviate that problem. Anyone know?

Honestly, I'm really getting tired of my Promedia's sound. I'm not really into the whole "upfront sound" the Promedias provide. I'm looking for something more laid back and neutral, like the high-end Sennheiser headphones. I'm not saying that Promedias are BAD; it's just that I personally am not too fond of their sound.

From all the reviews I've read most people prefer the Videologic Sirocco's over the Promedias, so sooner or later I will get a Videologic speaker set. Right now I'm deciding between the Crossfires and the Digitheatre DTS. If going digital won't allow for rear speaker gaming I will not buy the DTS.

Miko, I live in So. Cal. Can I audition the Digitheatre speakers?

The difference in the $400 to $600 price range would put those two sets of speakers in the exact same catagory. The price difference being in the inclusion of the decoder with the Videologic system.

Both systems are entirely geared to a multi media setup as well, but you are correct, it boils down to personal preferance and personally I love my Klipsch. Smile.gif

I'd first like to say to Kim that the digitheater in my opinion, should not even be talked as being a home theater setup. And if it is, its at the very bottom. I do agree with you when you say the pros have a forward sound stage, but keep in mind what these speakers are for. Personally I'd rather have a loud, forward explosion in a movie compared to a neutral one. For music I have to agree though. I'd really like to hear the 600s with a good amp, I went for the 590s because I also use them with my portable player. Anyway, what I read about the digitheater, was that the xfires sounded better cause they had a better amp. I also read that Klipsch's new crossover even out does the xfires, even though the sound isn't quite as good. I'm gettin the 5.1s for the sub, though.